26 inch DYNO FrankenBMX. FIRST RIDE! SERIOUS FUN!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DYNO Mountain bike to 26" BMX Build. HOME MADE STEM?

Looking good!

Glad you guys like it! You got me thinking K-dregg, maybe I will sand it up a bit more and just clear coat it and maybe do the same with the forks and seat post too... Don't worry OG, the pink will be going! More than likely hit that up with some sandpaper and polish it up...

Not much progress today, been pretty busy, did find some 26x1.75 tires in my stash though and put them on, too dark by the time I finished so no pics yet, but I do like the way they look on the bike! Skinny tires (1.75) on decent rims (also 1.75) is a good look, very racy... think I will end up going with the old racer/cruiser style look, pads, handlebar number plate and a skinny seat.

9727781771_f62c749a87.jpg

Luke.

I have to see this thing finished.

Not long! Trying to have it done and out of the way before the start of the Muscle Bike Build-off Oct 1st!
Took photos this morning of how it looks with the tires on, but now Flickr is down for upgrades so will have to try posting them tomorrow...

Luke.

Tires on:

9740689630_c57ec9a139.jpg

9740687196_150ae068f5.jpg

Love the racy look of the skinnier tires...

Starting to look like the design drawing!

9674688777_8b16f399a0.jpg

Change the dropouts, the freewheel, add a chain, some pads, brake cables and grips and it is done!

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Tires on:

9740687196_150ae068f5.jpg

Love the racy look of the skinnier tires...

Luke.

Skinnier than what... those huge bicycle tires waiting in the background? :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol:

The Renaissance Man said:
Skinnier than what... those huge bicycle tires waiting in the background? :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol:
OOPS! I have been trying to keep those hidden! :lol: Guess the secret is out now, 2 mini build-offs coming up, as you can see, I will be up to my old tricks on at least one of them... The first tire there is a spare for FatBob though, but found out it has a broken bead from when it was removed from the previous rim, I just lined it up there to get an idea of sizing on the new tires, only need one of them, but found a matched pair for free, never one to pass up a bargain, it gets added to the collection... :wink:

Build-off links if anyone wants to join:

Muscle Bike Build-off #2 (1st Oct - 1st Dec. 2013): viewtopic.php?f=43&t=76297&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

WINTER build-off (DEC 1st - MARCH 1st. 2013 -Summer in southern hemisphere!): viewtopic.php?f=43&t=75799

Luke.

Re: DYNO Mountain bike to 26" BMX Build. TIRES ON!

What a frustrating day! Spent the morning getting things done and out of the way so I could spend this afternoon finishing up the welding and grinding on the bike, so paint and final assembly can start, wouldn't you know it, but sat down for lunch and it started raining, been bucketing down ever since! :x I hope it does not continue to rain like this with this build to be done, and the muscle bike build off bike which is a complicated build starting soon too! :shock:

Weather service is predicting rain everyday for the next week, so not looking good...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
What a frustrating day! Spent the morning getting things done and out of the way so I could spend this afternoon finishing up the welding and grinding on the bike, so paint and final assembly can start, wouldn't you know it, but sat down for lunch and it started raining, been bucketing down ever since! :x I hope it does not continue to rain like this with this build to be done, and the muscle bike build off bike which is a complicated build starting soon too! :shock:

Weather service is predicting rain everyday for the next week, so not looking good...

Luke.

Bring it in the living room and work on it. :mrgreen: Then you can watch TV and sit in a nice chair while you work.

outskirtscustoms said:
Bring it in the living room and work on it. :mrgreen: Then you can watch TV and sit in a nice chair while you work.
Oh, I will, after the welding and grinding is done! :wink: Not a big fan of welding inside the house if I can avoid it!

Luke.

Re: DYNO Mountain bike to 26" BMX Build. Weather hold-ups.

Finally got the last of the big items done!

Dropouts switched to BMX style, cut some off a cheap old BMX I had here and grafted them to the DYNO frame, the final stage of welding on the FrankenBMX is done! :lol:

From this:

9850648096_8e67752d8e.jpg

To this:

9850611144_3597934513.jpg

Sorry about the grainy pic, it was getting dark as I finished up for the day.

Now all that is left is the clean-up, removal of all cable guides, paint, assemble and make the pad set...
Tested the weight compared to this newish DiamondBack 20" BMX I found the other day and it is 1.4kg (3+ lbs) lighter than the little 20"! Pretty happy with that, after adding the lightweight Sugino cranks, a chain, brake cables and pads, I think it will still weigh less!

9814383424_3f50245341.jpg

Luke.

Re: 26 inch DYNO FrankenBMX. DROPOUTS DONE! NEARLY FINISHED!

Looks great!Can't wait to see some bike tricks! :D

Re: 26 inch DYNO FrankenBMX. DROPOUTS DONE! NEARLY FINISHED!

papawrandy said:
Looks great!Can't wait to see some bike tricks! :D
From me? :lol: I cant even Bunny-Hop! No, this is just a cool bike for me to cruise on... :wink:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back