26" Cruiser gearing question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 1980 Schwinn Cruiser in building up and I'm putting a freewheel on it. I already have a 39 tooth chainring, looking for advice on freewheel tooth. The bike will be more of a cal cruiser/Strandie with a lil BMX flair. Will mostly be ridden around camp grounds, beach sidewalks. I looked at the new SE 26" BMX bikes and they have a 39 chainring, and a 17 tooth freewheel. Thoughts?

My new 1981 Typhoon came with 44/19, so I checked the calculator, 39/17 is fairly close, 0.8 gear inches difference, almost the same. Yours is just a tiny bit easier to pedal that the standard one speed like I had. If it's too easy, change the cog to a 16, you may not have to take a link out of the chain, it may just need the wheel adjusted back. Then it'll be faster but harder to pedal. But for yours needs, it sounds just right.

upload_2016-11-11_13-45-10.jpeg

I have a 26" PK Ripper with the 39/17 gearing and 1.95" K-Rads. Gearing works great on the street and pretty good off it...definitely not great for steep hills, but works fine everywhere else.

If you have a bmx background, it would be like riding a 20" with a 44/15 combo. Not "the optimum" race gear...but close :happy:.

Jason

Last edited:
Back