24T Rear Cog

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anyone else run 24T or higher? I know Endless makes them in 24t but it's not worth $50 to be honest. I think there are some DIY methods but I don't have a welder.

Tony, you want a HG-compat one, like Endless sells? Or are you looking for a cb/IGH 3 spline jawn? Frankie hails from The Netherlands, so they get good stuff. We can get it, too, but not thru normal means so we gotta pay thru the nose:
http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/cogs/index.html
They got 3-splined cb cogs, up to 26t!

If you need something for an HG-style splined driver, and you're crafty, you can make single cogs made for multispeed cassettes work:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/miche-shimano-24t-middle-final-position-cog-8-9-speed
Of course, these will be ramped to enhance shifting, so there's increased risk of dropped chains with singlespeed use, but care attention to chainline and proper chain tension should prevent that in most relaxed riding conditions.

If it were me, though, I'd just go with a 22t Surly rear sprocket, and either gear down up front or stand up more while pedaling....:eek::rockout::confused:

yes its for singlespeed but I pay 7 euros for a cog so 15 dollars isnt that bad if you really want a 24t but 27 bucks for a 26t... :oops:
Like B808 says i'd pedal a bit harder too!

Frank

I just buy these off Amazon but they all top out at 22t. I'd like the 24t for the klunker build otherwise I'd deal with the 22 on my cruisers.
ama4uhuh.jpg

Tony, you want a HG-compat one, like Endless sells? Or are you looking for a cb/IGH 3 spline jawn? Frankie hails from The Netherlands, so they get good stuff. We can get it, too, but not thru normal means so we gotta pay thru the nose:
http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/cogs/index.html
They got 3-splined cb cogs, up to 26t!

If you need something for an HG-style splined driver, and you're crafty, you can make single cogs made for multispeed cassettes work:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/miche-shimano-24t-middle-final-position-cog-8-9-speed
Of course, these will be ramped to enhance shifting, so there's increased risk of dropped chains with singlespeed use, but care attention to chainline and proper chain tension should prevent that in most relaxed riding conditions.

If it were me, though, I'd just go with a 22t Surly rear sprocket, and either gear down up front or stand up more while pedaling....:eek::rockout::confused:
I am of a like mind, save money where possible!
Currently I run a 48/22 w/SA 3AWC, considering a 50!
Most times though I start with a 16 or 17, and gear the front from there. Approximately 38 to 44 depending on outer tire diameter.

Tony, on a singlespeed c/b? That'll be high, off-road, but if this is on your Schwinn with the Retrospec cranks, it won't be hard/expensive to get a smaller front sprocket. FWIW, Niagara sells the 23t Shimano Nexus rear sprocket, too.... at least put you at a 52" gear. But if I were you, I'd go a bit lower, and changing the front will get you there quickest/easiest/cheapest....

Tony, on a singlespeed c/b? That'll be high, off-road, but if this is on your Schwinn with the Retrospec cranks, it won't be hard/expensive to get a smaller front sprocket. FWIW, Niagara sells the 23t Shimano Nexus rear sprocket, too.... at least put you at a 52" gear. But if I were you, I'd go a bit lower, and changing the front will get you there quickest/easiest/cheapest....
Still debating on a OPC or the Retro crank.

Good thread.

Been looking at larger cb cogs lately myself as I have a 52T chainring on my current build & 52/20 seems a bit crazy (factory gears); but again I've had 44-48/18 on almost every bike.

Let us know when you hear back on that 23T

Still debating on a OPC or the Retro crank.
OPC cranks are nice, b/c you can get 36t (even smaller, if you hunt around) front sprockets for really cheap, ranging from "free" from a donor bike up to $10. Yeah, you can pay more, but the very nicest OPC sprockets are made by Renthal and top out at $50. Porkchops run about $25; really nice and i've got a few of those, but my go-to is the Walds, which are available in 36, 40, 42 and 44t from pretty muchg any bike shop or cheap online source.... you can even get 48t Wald sprockets if you hunt for them.... and most sizes sell for about 5 bucks.

I have modified many old Shimano cassette cogs into three pin coaster brake cogs. Lots of sizes to choose from.
That's very cool, but aren't they going to either be ramped for "shifting" or else just regular bmx cogs, which don't come big anyways?

Latest posts

Back