24" Typhoon Patina build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 14 years ago I was spending the summer with my dad and had been working on a flat black ratrod/lowrider bike build. I was rummuging around in his carport when I stumbled across this red Schwinn. Super excited, I cleaned it up, aired up the tires and started cruising around. When he got home I asked him where he got it and why didn't he tell me about it, to which he replied "What Schwinn?"

Turned out it was the neighbors......drat. Next time I saw her I told her what had happened and she said "You cleaned it up?! I was going to let it rust in the garden for decoration!" So, I tried to buy it off her, even haggle a bit. I think I gave her $20 or $40 bucks for it.

Since then? Its been in the garage or attic. I recently sold my project car and have been bored off my rocker. I was browsing around the interwebs and saw 2 stroke motor kits that fit 24-26" bikes. EUREKA!

Up the ladder to the attic I went.

I pulled it down, flipped the bars, fixed the seat and spent an hour pulling off some stupid glow in the dark tape. And here we have it.

0390819ab739aeb440030be19110bd1c.jpg

It's rougher than the picture shows.

The past couple days I've been searching ebay for some goodies and scored a couple items just as rough as the bike.

Vintage Semperit tires
$(KGrHqR,!loE2EcTM6(-BNwYijlZ9w~~_12.JPG

1965 plate
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I'm currently trying to get a well worn Brooks leather saddle to go with.

The plan is to have a complete non restored 2 stroke to cruise around. I initially thought of ditching the fenders, fork, maybe even the wheels so I could run some big cream tires and then stretching the rear frame. However the more I look at the bike I just want to keep it original looking.

The trick will be making the engine look vintage as well, I want it to look as if someone installed it in the 50's and its been in a barn ever since. I also hate the fuel tanks atop the frame so I will be addressing that as well.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Back