2011 SCHWINN KRATES????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you, Ffloyd. I had the opportunity to look over one of these a few days ago, and my opinion is that they are just Chino-Junk made to look superficially like a REAL Schwinn Krate. If you put one of them next to an original, the quality is laughable

Sure, they did buy the right to use the Schwinn name.... but until they produce a Krate that doesn't have sloppy welds, and lowest-end components, I won't consider then to be anything other than junk-bikes. I bet old Ignaz is turning over in his grave.

They just can't make them with the same soul. The 1999 schwinn made krates when schwinn was still sort-of schwinn weren't as good as the originals, but much better than the BFK"s and this.

There is something about the original frames. They just flow better.
The new seats are the wrong shape. They are way to square. The persons seats were the best IMO.
The chain rings are flat, the spring ratainer on the fork is too blocky.
It is just all the attention to detail and quality that gave them style.
They look cheap. Not to be confused with inexpensive.

The price does seem a bit steep to me; especially when you can still run across a more appealing '99 for around the same price.

Sorry, I'll stop now.

My bike shop just ordered two. He said the are like 10 and 11 of 222. Hes not taking them out of the box. If someone wants one he said they buy it in the box. :?

i think that this is just a test. if they sell all of them i'm pretty sure they'll make more for the wally customer maybe between $100 to $150 range

Rat Rod said:
If people are willing to pay $300 plus shipping for a BFK on Ebay right now...they shouldn't have trouble selling these.
axsepul said:
i think that this is just a test. if they sell all of them i'm pretty sure they'll make more for the wally customer maybe between $100 to $150 range

yeah my thoughts exactly :roll: I hope they do just stay limited and dont flood us with a pile of cheap repops

For $400 plus, I'd rather buy a real Stingray. These Chinese wannabes will never compare in quality and value to the Chicago bikes.

TornadoDave2 said:
Sure, they did buy the right to use the Schwinn name.... but until they produce a Krate that doesn't have sloppy welds, and lowest-end components, I won't consider then to be anything other than junk-bikes. I bet old Ignaz is turning over in his grave.

Im waitin on Mr. Schwinn to ride out of his grave on an Phantom and settin the new schwinn owners straight! (that would be a site to see!)

But there will never be a bike a good as an original stingray and china cant make them.

Schwinn frames flow cause thay are brazed together...a lost art in the bike world....

the new Dorel "krates" (thats right i ain't goin to tarnish the Schwinn name for these) are welded not brazed....

and even tho Persons saddles is still round it is not logical for Dorel or Persons to make the saddles unless the make alot

and wald is still around....

Shimano could make the coaster brakes...(the cb110 can stop a worksman so it could stop a Krate)

If they used some of the companys Schwinn used to depend on for parts i might consider on....

From deorman's link:

Sometime in the 1970's, the Schwinn Chicago factory was organized by the United Auto Workers union, who felt that bicycle factory workers should be paid on the same scale as automotive workers. Unfortunately, the realities of the marketplace didn't agree, and Schwinn closed the factory, transferring most production to Japan (Panasonic) and Taiwan (Giant).

One more piece of America destroyed by the corruption and greed of the labor unions. I hope all the proud UAW members at the (former) Schwinn factory thanked the union organizers for the great pay they didn't get.

JWM

I can see the appeal of reproductions but once they start coming out with a new series every 3 years I think it's a bit much. Even if they were of quality--too much banking on an old classic to carry you.

I'll take my crusty '69 Apple Krate for 150$ any day of the week :D
DSCF3173.jpg

Another thing about the repops is that the decals start to peel off after a month or so :? The decals are bad quality and they don't bother clearcoating over them. I've got a 65' Sting-Ray and it is WAY better quality than my BFK :wink:

Well now that i think about it, At least they are trying......"If at first you don't succeed, try ,try again" :|

So maybe by 2017 Dorel/pacific will have one at least half "1970s Schwinn Aproved" like at least we can hope right..... :roll:

Or mabye the chinise will demand higher working pay and Schwinn could come back to the USA...well that is only a dream....

Jpromo said:
I can see the appeal of reproductions but once they start coming out with a new series every 3 years I think it's a bit much. Even if they were of quality--too much banking on an old classic to carry you.

I'll take my crusty '69 Apple Krate for 150$ any day of the week :D
DSCF3173.jpg

i would buy that any week too!

I found an original one in a junk-pile for free a few weeks ago.... complete, but very dirty. I'd much rather spend my $150 fixing up my original, than buy a Chino-junk copy.

Back