$20 Stingray!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Idea what I'm gonna do with this to be honest... but for £14... $20! I wasn't gonna pass it up.
So far a flat back tyre seems to be the extent of the work required to get it riding!
The chrome needs doing with steel wool but is actually pretty good. Maybe a banana seat to get my butt back from the crank :mrgreen: and some wider longer bars.

DSC02230.jpg

DSC02231.jpg

Swapmeet find on sunday... a pair of MKIII Raleigh Chopper bars $15
The seat pan is being modded and I'll be making some rear seat supports/sissybar to strengthen the back up a bit. Back wheel is trued up and a new brake cable fitted (tandem length to accommodate the extra bar height) and a 50's headlight fitted that'll be LED once its done.
The bar tool bag is a crown green bowls bag!!
DSC02237.jpg

DSC02235.jpg

I don't much care for tall apes, but they look Great on that bike. :D
The mirror and the tool bag really give it a motocycle look.
IMHO, all your changes really add to the bike, and the price was right!

Nice find, one word of advice though do not use steel wool it will scratch the chrome and make it worse when it rusts again. Use copper wool copper is softer than chrome so it won't scratch it.

I know what you mean Jerry I'm not much of a fan of tall bars either but they just seem to fit this shape somehow. Plus I'm 6 foot tall and lardy so this position is much more comfortable for a lump like me than those low narrow bars. The tall bars keep my knees and my elbows from getting tangled up :mrgreen: I noticed that if i perched a little further back on the top edge of the seat it was a great riding position. It's a kids bike really I guess so it wasn't designed with 6 foot tall adults on it but what the heck! Hopefully the modified seat will make it more rideable for me. Good idea with the wool copper OSC, I'll see if i can get some, thanks. The mirror was 20p at the same swapmeet! I didn't expect to like this bike as much as I do to be honest but its kinda growing on me! I like the Spoiler better but for what this owes me (about £25) I'm not complaining! The bikes aren't really worth much over here second hand so I might as well make it at least useable. Although the odd thing is on the 2 occasions I've been out on it so far with the kids I've been stopped both times by people asking about it! It puts a silly grin on my face when I'm riding it so its a long way to being a keeper!

More rummagings from the trash pile... A Longhorn brass belt buckle
DSC02240.jpg

A small headlight... now a tail light (found in the scrap yard yesterday $1!) :mrgreen:
DSC02241.jpg

Back