20" rear sprocket question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo, I picked up a 20" girls bike for my niece I'm redoing. I got these rims off of ebay like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/BMX-Bike-Bicycle-20 ... 213wt_1165 as I thought they looked really cool.

I didn't read the fine print nor could I see in the picture, nor did I give it a second thought that the rims wouldn't come with a rear sprocket. Oh, I'm sorry you ordered this steak, well, butter for your potatoes and the fork are extra. Anyhoo, I wrote back to him wanting to know what the deal was. He didn't really seem to care nor understand what I was saying (he wrote "I'm glad your interesting").

I noticed on the rims there is a threading machined around the hub, I've never seen this before. This, I'm guessing is where the freewheel sprocket spins on. I measured the threading and it's 1 3/8" or 34mm.

S5000110-1.jpg

My question is, can someone verify this, will one of these sprockets work on this rim? Is this a standard size for one of these:

001.jpg

Also, the original rims on the bike took an 18 tooth sprocket, will a 22 or 16 work?

Thanks Guys for the quick reply.

Next question then, anyone know of a disk brake for the front? Same threading for the rotor?

Walker said:
it looks like the choppers adaptor threads on, are boths sides of your wheel threaded?

One side on the front is, both on the rear are. I'm only doing the front brakes though because of expense. Hoefully I can run the cable through the frame.

Back