2 Sears bikes - Spyder and ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up these 2 Sears frankenbikes last night. Turns out they are better than I thought.

1st is whats left of a Spyder. Front rim looks like a Sears rim. Has a Schwinn Spitfire 24x 1.75 tire with NO cracks. The rear is really wide, sure enough its a center stamped schwinn s-2 with new departure model d hub with the wrong brake arm. Has an awesome Sears Allstate 24 x 1.75 redline tire with NO cracks. Cool glitter saddle. Sprocket looks like a Schwinn, is it?

Would this have been a 5 speed with the dual rear brakes?

DSC02885.jpg

DSC02886.jpg

DSC02887.jpg

DSC02890.jpg

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

2nd is a 24" Sears cruiser. Thought the front was an s-7 but its not, so I'm guessing that ones original. Rear has no markings but has a New Departure Model D hub again. Nice Good Year Studded tire with NO cracks. Not sure what's original. Will look better once I ditch the Wald basket. Has Schwinn bars/grips. Union front hub and pedals

DSC02882.jpg

DSC02883.jpg

DSC02884.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

DSC02901.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02904.jpg

Got a lot more cool parts that I thought I was getting. Too bad none of the rims/tires match.

cman said:
That yellow on the Spyder is almost as good as a Coppertone Schwinn.

Nice finds.

Thanks!

I agree, I love the color. I've been doing some research, seems most of these came in purple. Also seems its from 65-67. Looks like they were all 5 speeds. I have apes and a correct looking sissy bar. Just need a seat and a shifter.

Great finds. I own a 24" Spyder and its one of the best riding bikes I have, so much so that I have been looking for another for some time without much luck. There seems to be growing interest in them and their prices are slowly climbing as a result. If you're looking for a shifter check with member Tin Machine, I think he has one he might part with.
-Brian

Bri-in-RI said:
Great finds. I own a 24" Spyder and its one of the best riding bikes I have, so much so that I have been looking for another for some time without much luck. There seems to be growing interest in them and their prices are slowly climbing as a result. If you're looking for a shifter check with member Tin Machine, I think he has one he might part with.
-Brian

Do you have pictures of yours? What size are the tires on it? Thanks for the tip on the shifter.

Pretty sure mines all original besides for the seat and maybe the shifter. Back tire is 24x1.75 and front is 24x1 3/8. Back rim is wider than the front as well. Not sure on the year on mine but it has many reg. stickers on it with the oldest being '68.
purple2.jpg

hey man if u wanna get rid of that spyder frame n fork id be interested ....for sure !!!!! id post pics of mine but there crappy cell pics and there fuzzy ....ill get some good ones ...urs is the color mine use 2 be !!!! :lol:

mikesbikes36 said:
hey man if u wanna get rid of that spyder frame n fork id be interested ....for sure !!!!! id post pics of mine but there crappy cell pics and there fuzzy ....ill get some good ones ...urs is the color mine use 2 be !!!! :lol:

I knew you were going to ask about buying this thats why I didn't! :D . I feel like you're my Spyder nemesis, whenever one shows up on here I know you're lurking and ready to pounce!

man im sorry i just want a better original paint fram n fork ....id rather have a purple ...but this color is cool 2 !!!! ill sell ya my frame n fork if i get the chance 2 buy this one .... i have a purple one in my garage but u cant really tell it was purple if it wasent for the grips and a little paint on the forks ...LOL i prolly shouldnt b makin a deal on this as i have a bike on hold rite now ...but i really wanna get my spyder redone ....and i got a job now so i should have some extra cash commin in ....mayb i can get lucky and end up with both of em .... :D

PS ratina ....id like the chaingaurd and back fender also ...LOL just gettin greedy now !!! :shock:

Bri-in-RI said:
Pretty sure mines all original besides for the seat and maybe the shifter. Back tire is 24x1.75 and front is 24x1 3/8. Back rim is wider than the front as well. Not sure on the year on mine but it has many reg. stickers on it with the oldest being '68.
purple2.jpg

Nice!

mikesbikes36 said:

Not sure what I'm doing yet, but you have first dibs!

Nice bike . I have a womens 24 purple i could part out or sell complete almost complete if you need a back wheel. I think it has a redline tire on back.
womensspyder.jpg

The yellow Spyder is around a 1968. Yes, all of the yellow ones I have seen were 5 speed. The original rear wheel was stamped M.O.Mfg.CO. The original front wheel and tire was a 20x 1 3 /8. Here is a pic of one I had with incorrect pedals(yours are correct) and incorrect derailluer.
Picture099.jpg

Your black Spyder was like this one at one time. I have only seen 2 complete black Spyders and my time. They show up in the Christmas of 66 Sears catalog as a 67 bike. Here is a pic of my black Spyder.

66spyders002-1.jpg

Hope these pictures help. Just in case, I do have a very nice original rear wheel(spoked with correct hub) for the yellow bike and maybe a decent front wheel for the black bike. Also have a red line front tire for the yellow bike. Might know someone with a seat for the yellow bike as well. Kenny.

deathkrate said:
I'd be interested in the fenders and chainguard off the spyder if you decide to part it.

:? Who are you ?

Back