2 Pre-War matching ELGINS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
These rate up there as one of my best Bike finds, I bought a schwinn Tornado from a picker the other day, an older man was watching me load it and proceeded to follow me away from the pickers shop, He told me he had 2 bikes in his sisters garage I might like. Well today I took a ride to see what I thought would be 2 average bikes, Boy was I shocked!
They appear to be same vintage with original accessories, grips, Tires that blow up and hold air, The Womens bike does not have a headbadge but rather a painted headbadge with different graphics, I would like to know more about that paint scheme. These photos are just out of the garage, I will post more after a good wash
2ELGINS001.jpg

Here is the Men's
2ELGINS002.jpg

2ELGINS003.jpg

Is this a horn/whistle, both bikes have one embossed ELGIN
2ELGINS004.jpg

ELGIN Grips
2ELGINS005.jpg

2ELGINS006.jpg

2ELGINS007.jpg

2ELGINS008.jpg

The Women's, NOTE the painted on "headbadge", color is carried on throughout bike
2ELGINS009.jpg

2ELGINS016.jpg

2ELGINS015.jpg

Nice rear Light, is battery powered but has a wire running down to rear hub ?
2ELGINS012.jpg

2ELGINS014.jpg

2ELGINS011.jpg

Floating Hub ?
2ELGINS010.jpg

Sweet bikes Im sorry my tank Sold for the ladies bike before you could buy it.

Both your bikes appear to be 1942 Elgins. I believe that neither of these bikes were sold with a tank. The horns were sold in the Sears catalog as accessories but are standard equipment on the Four Star (Deluxe) bikes you have The Stewart Warner floating hub on the front of the boys bike was Sears answer to the spring fork. The axle "floats" inside a coil mechanism and it cushions the front end.
The pod on the back end is a tail light and a stop light. The tail light has it's own switch and would be a steady red light. The mechanism connected to the rear hub is for the stop light which would be a flashing red light when the brakes are applied. These are also standard equipment on your Four Star bikes.
The painted on head badge is also correct as are the truss rod mounted head lights.
The paint looks original. (please keep them this way!)
Great find!!! Amazing to find a matched set !! I am guessing; maybe gifts to a brother and sister in 1942.
Please let me know if you are going to sell or trade them.
Jeff

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I can't wait to see these after a little soap and water....they're gonna be MINT!

wow sick score right down to the finned musselman hubs! these are my favorite old skool hubs...inspiring score bro!!! elgins are awesome i have a couple in the stable.

Nice find. My only question is the date of 1942. The war was on. I wonder how long the supply of bikes lasted before they were shut off because of the war? The war started in Dec. '41 so I suppose it's possible there were still some in '42. Elgin war wheels. Cool. Gary

B607 said:
My only question is the date of 1942. The war was on. I wonder how long the supply of bikes lasted before they were shut off because of the war? The war started in Dec. '41 so I suppose it's possible there were still some in '42.

Sears offered special balloon models with less sheet metal and reduced chrome in the Spring/Summer 1942 catalog. The models depicted in that catalog, (and the girl's bike in this post) are Murray-Ohio produced models and several of them exist today in the Hobby.

The full size 26" Balloon bikes were dropped from the catalogs before the end of 1942 but by the time the Spring/Summer 1943 catalog was published, lightweight models (also Murray built) were available in the catalog to those who could meet government rationing requirements.

A general opinion in the hobby is that American bicycle production ended in early 1942 and was not resumed until after the war ended in August of 1945. It has also been presented that only Huffman and Westfield were allowed by the government to continue production during these years to meet military and special civilian needs.

It appears that is an oversimplification of the facts. The strict rationing of bicycles was eased as the war went on but many manufacturers concentrated on military munitions contracts and built very few if any bikes for the duration. Other manufacturers produced relatively small numbers of bicycles or directed some effort into the planning and development of new models they anticipated producing after the war. Murray-Ohio, for one, obviously was still producing some bicycles in 1943 and patents show that by 1944 they were heavily involved in the development of their postwar frame which would become the base for the popular postwar J.C. Higgins balloon models.

Rat Rod said:

I can't wait to see these after a little soap and water....they're gonna be MINT!

That's what I was gonna do

Thaks Phil! It's great to have an in-house historian to help us tadpoles through the prewar quagmire. Gary

I already commented on your Cabe post of these beauties, but for the RRB'ers who don't hang out there, I have their brother, one of my favorite bikes!!!
adamtinkererscollection009.jpg

Back