1984 GT TIMBERLINE - DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1984 GT TIMBERLINE

I got busy and picked up a new pair of 26 x 1.76 Kenda gumwalls, some AME Tri Grips and a new gel seat.

I ended up removing the front derailleur and taking it down to one chainring in the front....much cleaner now.

Got it all put back together and gave it one final wash and now the bike is officially done.

I'm super pleased with the way it turned out and I feel like I've covered several aspects of vintage bikes that I like.

The frame geometry and components gives it that old school 26" BMX look. It's comfortable to ride and has six speeds to get you around.

Here's how the bike started....

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Here's how the bike looks now...

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0045-1.jpg

DSC_0048-1.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0027-2.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Wow... Even the pie plate and the nicks in the chrome look amazing in those shots. Great job and just a beautiful bike!

It's a beauty!

But I don't know if I can get used to the tan garage door instead of white. Can you paint the garage door white so i can get the full effect?

GTCOMA said:
But I don't know if I can get used to the tan garage door instead of white. Can you paint the garage door white so i can get the full effect?

Ha Ha...I moved just so I could have a new backdrop for my bike photos! :lol:

Rat Rod
That is a nice transformation on a great GT , NICE JOB I LIKE IT A LOT :!:

Converted this bike into my workhorse. I've been grabbing it when I want to hook our trailer up to a bike to pull the monkeys around.

Ended up throwing some 1.50 Cheng Shins on it, swapped out the cranks with the Super Maxy's and some Welgo bear traps.

This bike is very nimble, very fast and totally silent except for that wonderful clickety click from the cassette out back.

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

I liked the gumwalls too, but I needed something a little narrower with more of a slick tread for what I'm using it for.

Aesthetically, the only thing else I'd like to do is install an all chrome chain on the bike.

It's kind of a crazy looking bike, but the parts are of such awesome quality, I've found it hard to let it go.

The frame has almost new school dirt jump geometry with the low standover. It almost looks like it could have been built by Norco this year, not by GT 26 years ago. And I bet those tires make it fly. Seriously one of the coolest old MTBs I've ever seen.

That is a SWEET bike! It is almost too nice to ride.

Technically it's just a small framed version of GT's 1984 Timberline mountain bike. Someone on one of the MTB forums told me that he worked in a bike shop back in the day and built and sold several of them. He said that the smaller frame design was meant for the ladies or shorter male riders. What's funny about it though is that the top tube is pretty long and easily can accommodate a rider 5'9" and taller. My wife is 5'4" and she cannot ride the bike with the seat slammed to its lowest position...still too tall for her.

The taller standard version of the bike would have looked like this...

DSCN2057.JPG

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Back