1980's BMX to MTB crossovers?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After finding the Kos and than seeing RR's GT Timberline im finding myself leaning towards those types of bikes instead of a Klunker- those BMX handle bars just rock.

What would I use as a keyword to Google-fu these types of bikes? what were they called?

I need to know more and see more examples.

Some of my favorites....

CromegaSide.JPG

BruiserSide.JPG

83BlueGoatSide.JPG

That Alpinestars is .......!! OMGosh!

definatly my favorite style right now. I just bought a K2 a while back..and cant ride it. Its got a looptail-and its essentially a 100% MTB. Its going old school-Bmx-So basically opposite of what your doing

i just started working on a 26 MTB frame that i was looking at turning into a bmx cruiser class and i have been looking for inspirations as well...

Here's an MTB to BMX cruiser I did a few years back(more of a modern interpretation), cannibalized my GT Avalanche for wheels, crankset, brakes, and seat after it was toast. Redline Skookum (replacement frame they were blowing out when Redline dropped out of multi-speed mtbs for awhile, they only made these for a couple of years), Titec seatpost(markdown bin LBS), DMR fork(an ebay find - cheap), old schwinn bmx bars from projects long ago, SS conversion.

IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0623.jpg

Check this out:

92f9_3.jpg

1979-80ish Champion 26" Cruiser converted to a MTB bitd. I acquired this old photo of my bike when I bought the frame. This is from a 1980 build. Been trying to collect all the parts to match this build and return the bike to it's former glory.

Vintage BMX stuff is so expensive though it is a bit frustrating seeking the proper pieces.

stencil0001.jpg

Championframe0001.jpg

khs7109.jpg

khs7098.jpg

khs7104.jpg

khs7100.jpg

khs7038.jpg

khs7085.jpg

That Champion Rocks!

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it is 50% MTB, 50% BMX and 100% built out of parts I found at the dump. Amazing what people will throw away. No two parts from the same bike what so ever. I built it for bicycle polo and use it every week.

cargo004.jpg

Georgeediii said:
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it is 50% MTB, 50% BMX and 100% built out of parts I found at the dump. Amazing what people will throw away. No two parts from the same bike what so ever. I built it for bicycle polo and use it every week.

cargo004.jpg
nice 8)

Back