1978 Schwinn Heavy Duty (UPDATE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bike is truly inspired by all the bikes on Rat Rod Bikes!! I found this site by googling "bad bikes" and a picture of Rico's 1952 Custom Schwinn appear which is my favorite bike ever!!!Well enough of that, I got this bike with about 9 others in a trade for my old beat up 1966 Schwinn fast back.
heavyduty-1.jpg
I never thought I would never stray away from "original" stock look.
heavydutybefore.jpg
Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the stripping of the bike but I wire wheeled the frame down to the metal and primed it white, then used sunshine yellow,and polished all the bearing cups.
heavydutybuild3.jpg
heavydutybuild2.jpg
I swapped the blue forks with a set of 60's NOS Schwinn springer fork I had lying around
heavydutybuild.jpg
I then took the rear reflector off and stripped the flaky chrome and shot sunshine on that too.
heavydutybuild6.jpg
The original handle bars and grips were swapped for Typhoon bars and yellow Stingray grips.
heavydutybuild4.jpg
I also threw in a clean Schwinn badge!
heavydutybuild5.jpg
I put painters tape to protect the paint from any scratches while installing both rims and fenders.
heavydutybuild7.jpg
Same was done to put the chain which I stole from a Schwinn exercise bike among allot of bolts that were really clean.
heavydutybuild8.jpg
The kickstand was then reinstalled with the rear reflector.
heavydutybuild10.jpg
heavydutybuild12.jpg
heavydutybuild9.jpg
Now I need to choose a chain gaurd that would look good with this style of bike :roll: :roll:
chaingaurds.jpg

I have a set of rat trap peddles that I will polished to give it a cleaner look
peddles1.jpg

Here my very nice Dad helped my with the buff!
buff.jpg

Their starting to look pretty clean :D
peddles3.jpg
peddles2.jpg

Now this is a cleaner look :mrgreen:
peddlesinstalled.jpg

Re: 1978 Schwinn Heavy Duty

cman said:
Looking good. Great idea about the painters tape.
Thanks cman Kinda vervous putting my bike up with all these radical bikes :lol:

maddogrider said:
Wow that bike looks alot better than mine, nice job
HPIM3878.jpg
THANKS!!!You have a cool bike too!! I know a couple of people who would die for that bike. Lets breed them and make lil tigers.. :lol:

kinks said:
where did you get the paint
I got the paint from Walmart. I used a white primer first to lighten the yellow.
paint.jpg

very nice job i am not normally into heavy duty schwinns but that just looks right and nice job on the paint

i agree. but please do us a huge favor, and bring that sweet bike outside and give us some pictures 8)

theVULTURE said:
i agree. but please do us a huge favor, and bring that sweet bike outside and give us some pictures 8)
I most definitely will!!! Thanks for props Vulture!! I'm just waiting on a chain gaurd and puttin a seat together! soon real soon... :D

I have always had trouble with yellow giving proper coverage. I guess the white underneath helps. Gray primer seems to bleed through for the first 47 coats. I like the bike, but to me the yellow bezel on the rear reflector kind of throws it off a bit. That's just my opinion though. Don't listen to it if it looks good to you. It just really popped out as strange on that chrome.

jimmyjam said:
kinks said:
where did you get the paint
I got the paint from Walmart. I used a white primer first to lighten the yellow.
paint.jpg

That turn out great ! :D I like the yellow its very close to the factory Schwinn color. Your right on with the white base, I used the same combo awhile back on this one the exact same paint with the white base.
74-1.jpg

002.jpg

013-1.jpg

Back