1973 Schwinn Speedster. I'm looking for ideas.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this '73 Speedster about a month ago and when I got it, it was missing wheels so I traded for some and now it runs except that the front rim is bent because I'm assuming it was in an accident.
IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

I'm starting a rebuild where I'm gonna lower the front, get cruiser tires, a new chain, seat, and throw on a straightbar handlebar. Does anyone have any ideas or advice I could use on this? Thanks.

I'll be watching your post. Last night I got a 1959 Traveler, and a early 60's Deluxe Racer, they have the same type frame that you do. And I'm looking for different ideas also. Good luck with your build. Gary

It is pretty cool as is, but have you looked through the 'Pathracer' gallery? Mostly skinny tires, though fatter would look good in that style too; and the 'Street Skinny Cruiser Thread' has some 'fatter' skinny's.
Also, check out the build: 'Diamond in the Rough' by Udallcustombikes. His 1917 ish vintage bike look could be made out of yours.

I've had SOME success in tweaking bent rims back to near-straight, then taking most of the remaining wobble out when lacing. I take a 2x4 scrap and turn it up (4" vertical, well actually 3.5"), then laying the naked (unlaced) rim with the "high" point down on the 2x4 and pressing down on each side of the rim near the bend (gently at first, to judge the effectiveness). I have a 30x30 piece of glass I can check my progress on as I go, laying the rim on the glass and looking for touches and gaps. Repeat as necessary, being careful not to bend the flange of the rim in.

Anyone see a flaw in my process??

I'll be watching, too! I have a Ross Europa I frame and a Schwinn Collegiate straight-bar frame w/blade-forks. Interested in what others might have in mind.

James actually forgot to tighten the wheel nuts all the way. He bent the rim when it came off. I traded those rims to him... Hahaha :mrgreen:

Okay yeah. That DID happen once, but thank god there was a hipster bike shop a less than a quarter mile from where it broke down so they put the wheel back on for me. I did make them mad because the nuts are a weird size and they couldn't use the ratchet they wanted.

Back