1971 Western Flyer by Smoopy.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I just got home from getting my new bike from Smoopy. I couldn't be happier. I plan on riding the wheels off this thing for many years to come. It was my first time visiting Smoopy's shop and it's a really cool place. Definitely won't be my last.

SMOOPSBIKE_zps0a69bf55.jpg

SMMOPBIKETWO_zps665e8c55.jpg

Agree with Bicycle808. Love both the bikes but I'm also fond of the various older simple triangle frame light weight bikes like your Speedster. I guess one good thing about the lack of interest in the light weight triangle frames is they tend to be easier to find for a good price.

Agree with Bicycle808. Love both the bikes but I'm also fond of the various older simple triangle frame light weight bikes like your Speedster. I guess one good thing about the lack of interest in the light weight triangle frames is they tend to be easier to find for a good price.
That's the danger.... you can get to be like the crazy cat lady, who adopts every kitten... if you're not careful, you'll be over-run with Collegiates, Varsities, and Speedsters....

That's the danger.... you can get to be like the crazy cat lady, who adopts every kitten... if you're not careful, you'll be over-run with Collegiates, Varsities, and Speedsters....

:rofl: Well I'm already crazy.:D If I end up with a bunch of them I can just hand them from the rafters of the building to get them out of the way. One good thing about multiple garages and storage buildings. Always have room for all the clutter.

I got a Collegiate, which is basically the same frame but set up for a derailer. I think mine's even the same size as yours. Awesome frame. I bought it complete, minus wheels, for like a twin.... but mostly to rob some of its parts for a friend's project. Not sure what its fate will be, but I'm thinking just a basic rider will do it good.

I can dig it. I'm totally into the stripped down basic rider thing right now. I like what the cool kids are doing with the fixies. I especially like the look of them. My Schwinn is the stock coaster brake and I plan to keep it that way and just ride it. I'm keeping the head and tail light. Need to rewire it so it works all the time. The generator works, but it's got a short in the wiring somewhere . I put a brooks saddle on it, which I love....and I changed out the pedals to those blue cheapy BMX pedals and I kind of like those too. I originally wanted to keep the stock pedals on it, but they were just uncomfortable for my big feet. I'd like to get another one and do a flip flop hub set up.

What year is your truck in the pics? I'm assuming it's a Ford? My apologies for going off topic but I really like older trucks

Nah, it's a 1963 Chevy c-20 with a 1962 grill. Not off topic for me. I love old trucks myself. I've had this one for a few months. It needs a lot of stuff, but it's road worthy and I drive it often. It's got a 350 out of a 1970 Impala in it.

TRUCKMIROR_zps24dee62f.jpg

Shows I don't know 60's trucks well. Going from that earlier side shot I thought it was a Ford. That is a great pic you just posted of it above. The only older truck I have now is a 73 Ford F100 with the original low miles drive train. It was used as a camper with one of those in bed camper units most of it's life. It needs work as well but it is road worthy.

Old trucks are wonderful. I was looking at 70's Fords when I went to buy this one. Made an offer on a '59 Ford truck too....but in the end, found this one in my price range and got it. Those old trucks are so simple that they are all fun to own and work on. Just in front of the front bike tire you can see a piece of dowel rod laying on the bed. I've got that rod marked F---H---E.....I dip it into the gas tank and check how much fuel I have. Someday I need to fix the gas gauge!

I got a chuckle from you dowel rod story. Nothing wrong with going that route for the time being. My gas gauge will not work when it's real cold outside. As long as it's in the 40's or above it works fine.

I think your Rockabilly bike from Andrew is pretty cool, especially the chain guard with all the old school auto parts stickers. He's always got quiet a few cool bikes and other items around the shop. I'm partial to old trucks my dad has a 53 Chevy 3100 Shell service truck, Grandad owned a Shell station in Clarksville.

I think your Rockabilly bike from Andrew is pretty cool, especially the chain guard with all the old school auto parts stickers. He's always got quiet a few cool bikes and other items around the shop. I'm partial to old trucks my dad has a 53 Chevy 3100 Shell service truck, Grandad owned a Shell station in Clarksville.
That's very cool. Old trucks and Tennessee just sort of go together like peanut butter and jelly. I see you are in Mt. Pleasant. I'm near Cookeville.

Been awhile since I've been through Cookeville, use to go to the Rod Run before I went into the service. I'm originally from Clarksville, do you guys still have that outlet mall off the interstate? I go to the Boro for the VA hospital, better than Nashville a little more laid back. I've been looking for an older truck myself either a Ford or Chevy, but it's hard for me to really tinker with vehicles anymore, so it's up in the air. Bikes are easy because you can sit down and work on them. Don't have many people in this part of the state that are really into bikes which sucks.

Latest posts

Back