1971 schwinn typhoon info wanted.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im looking for some info on my 71 schwinn typhoon. Its spray painted red, but the original green is showing through in spots. I would like to know the name of the original color of it. Also, was this bike originally equipped with a kick-back two speed hub? Any ideas on sourcing those parts? I'd like to put a 2 speed back on it, but would go with an internal 3 speed if i cant find one. Thanks in advance for any advice yall have!

The 2-speed was a $10 option that was dealer installed on most bikes. I think 1970 was the last year for 2-speeds but the dealers had them available for several years after that. Finding a '71 Typhoon with a 2-speed would not surprise me. You should be able to find a yellow band 2-speed that has been rebuilt and works for around $100. 3-speed? All those cables and brakes? YUK! Gary

Campus green. They had very good paintjobs, so it may be in good condition under the repaint. This illustration from the 71 catalog says coaster, but I'll bet the dealer installed a 2 speed on request.

16h156a.jpg

Good info guys. I appreciate it. Campus Green, thats what i need to know. Unfortunately the original wheelset is long gone. Unless i can find one i may be doing the "buy a walmart bike for parts and sell the rest" thing. Seems the most cost effective way to go since my LBS wants $90 just for a chrome coaster wheelset.

You might try spray oven cleaner to remove sprayed on paint, try a small spot under the BB first to see.The longer you leave it on the more paint it removes ( be careful ).You might be surprised what the orig. paint looks like.

The original wheels for that bike were one speed and chrome S-7s. Those are Schwinn made and they won't take the standard 26" tire, they must be 26 x 1 3/4, not 1.75 or 2.125. They made them slightly larger in diameter so you would have to buy their tires. If you bought that walmart bike, those wheels would take standard tires, which are most that you see for sale, especially the wider tires. Like on thepostman's bike, he as standard size wheels and has more of a choice of what tires he can use. Unless you want to have your bike original, or come across an S7 wheelset with good tires, I would use standard wheels. Look on CL or in thrift stores for a beach cruiser cheap with good wheels.

I picked up a wheelset yesterday from my local bike shop, aluminum single speed. couldnt beat the deal, brand new rear and fresh rebuilt front wit a cool mohawk style GT hub for $50 bucks. Had to take the bike to the auto shop down the street and have them put some kroil and an impact to get the headset nut off. Got the fork taken apart and greased, threw some old 26x2.125 white walls i had laying around just for mock up purposes. I'll be replacing them as soon as i get the rest together.

heres a pic of where im at so far. I love that front rack, its going to have a real cool look with the fender and wide white wall when its all together.

100_2759.jpg

Latest posts

Back