1971 Schwinn Lil Tiger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
FINALLY got around to finishing this 12" Lil Tiger up for my grandson who is 2yo. I still need to put on the front badge and a couple more decals. I am hoping to find some original Schwinn training wheels and some cool green/white streamers. I added "air" tires/wheels. I kept the original hard rubber ones. The paint was in so-so shape. I had a hard time deciding to leave it red or posder coat, but in the end, I decided the paint was a little too far gone. I had the seat restored by a guy up in Cleveland. He did an amazing job! I'll be getting it in the studio soon for some real pics, but for now, here it is!

greentiger.jpg

That looks awesome!
Those tires look super fat!!

CCR said:
Looks awesome Terry,put some training wheels on that bad boy and let him ride !!!

Oh yeah...this is a rider for sure. He has a little brother due in a few months, so I am sure it will get its share of abuse over the years!

I do need to ask you a question though about this muscle machine. Is there 1 or 2 seat post shims that go on this thing ? I just redid one for my boy too but it had been apart for so long I don't remember how it came apart. I believe the headset cups for mine were missing when I got it originally but i think one piece kind of slides on the neck of the fork but wasn't sure about that. But it could be a seat post shim too I suppose.

Well, mine was apart for a while too, so assuming I put mine back together correctly, there is one seat post shim. I put the clamp on first, then I slid the shim in the seat tube. The shim has a small lip that keeps it from dropping down in the tube. I sat the top bar over all that. The upper and lower head tube cups are different. I believe the upper has a guide ring of sorts inside….unless of course that is the lower and I put mine back together upside down! The headset does not use bearings. It seems to me that the fork steerer tube should have a race to mate up with the bottom cup, but mine did not have one. Not sure if it was missing or if they didn’t have them.

I wasn’t feeling the hard rubber tires with no brakes, so I found a 12” kids bike at a swap for $5 and used the wheels on this built. Gave me air filled tires and brakes.

Cool, that's what ive got basically, a seat post shim with like 3 tabs that flare out (I put mine on after the top bar to keep the top bar down but I don't know if that was right or not) then ive got the fork with a plastic race looking piece that i assume matched up to the bottom head tube cup ... but my cup is missing. Then there is this other piece that looks like a seat post shim, kind of has a hole in it matching the hole in the fork, but if it is for the fork, its kind of useless without the original top cup for the headtube.

We did the same on wheels/tires too, mine had a mismatched rear wheel that didnt fit in the rear right so I think we've got the same wheel and tire set-up as you now too. Coaster brake rear. I really like the open guard like yours has got, our bike is the later style enclosed guard and the rear fender doesn't have the ducktail either.

I stole some training wheels off a 16" schwinn that has similar braces to the originals, but had to drill a hole in them to lower them for a 12" bike, also had to bend the braces that went to the chainstays too.

Love the color and the recover on the seat !!! These little bikes look so cool 8)

That looks Awesome ! i have one i'm goin to do for my Grand daughter , where did you find the wheels and those cool w/w tires ?

Ralph ps. i have og training wheels !

YO "Terry66" i just posted a LiL Tiger section in the Show me Forum , would you mind posting your tiger ther ?

Ralph

Back