1967 Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Met up with Blacksheep earlier and traded him for the 67 Stingray he just got. I have an original blue seat and sissy bar so its going back original.

stingray.jpg

they were standard on stingrays in 67, i think they had a reputation of being called "the ugly bars" so they went back to the original style in 68 on the stingrays

they were on the fastbacks from 66-67

later schwinn changed to the narrower bars on all the stingrays in 1970, some saftey thing, supposedly so kids would be less likely to carry a passenger seated on the bars .... just random hear-say ive seen but its likely got some truth to it.

CCR said:
they were standard on stingrays in 67, i think they had a reputation of being called "the ugly bars" so they went back to the original style in 68 on the stingrays

they were on the fastbacks from 66 up until schwinn changed to the narrower bars on all the stingrays, some saftey thing, supposedly so kids would be less likely to carry a passenger seated on the bars .... just random hear-say ive seen but its likely got some truth to it.

Thanks for the info. That sounds like something that would be true. I personally think there cool looking bars

did some catalog searching, 68/69 fastbacks had the original wide apes on them, then in 70 they all appear (fastbacks/krates/stingrays) to have the narrower bars on them.

i like the swept back 66-67 fastback bars, just more comfortable in my opinion :)

CCR said:
did some catalog searching, 68/69 fastbacks had the original wide apes on them, then in 70 they all appear (fastbacks/krates/stingrays) to have the narrower bars on them.

i like the swept back 66-67 fastback bars, just more comfortable in my opinion :)

Sounds about right, I have a Dec. 68 Coppertone Fastback with the wide apes and a 73 with the narrow bars. This is my first pair like this, I can't wait to get the bike ridable.

Wow are you kidding Ratrod a grand on ebay. Ive got one in the barn with the Astrabula bars forks and goose neck. I could get a new pair of shoes with that kind of jack

Nice find! I'm very excited to begin building my newly acquired stingray krate back up. :D

Ive had a set of really wide 20" rims hanging in the garage forever. I planned on using the back one on the stingray with an offbrand slik (cant afford the real deal) Grabbed the wheel and was checking a curb ding on it and saw some knurls on the rim. I started scrubbing and it was a Schwinn S-2 rim! I couldnt believe it, I guess you never know what you'll find in the garage. The front rim that was with it was a Raleigh. So I grabbed one of my dads extra schwinn slik's and threw it on the bike. Also threw a nice westwind on the front. The front rim has a nice schwinn script hub and it has an "AS" seat clamp. Chain is soaking in wd 40 right now. Once it gets warmer ill pull it all apart and start the detailing process including removing "steven" and "daredevil" that have been painted on. STP sticker will stay 8) . Chrome is going to clean up real nice.

1-12.jpg

i have a matching set of schwinn rims that need cleaned for $10 if your interested, they came off of a 70s tornado, they have the knurling.and westwind tires, no tubes included though. you probably have seen them on cl.your bike is looking really cool!

bits n pieces said:
i have a matching set of schwinn rims that need cleaned for $10 if your interested, they came off of a 70s tornado, they have the knurling.and westwind tires, no tubes included though. you probably have seen them on cl.your bike is looking really cool!

Thanks for the offer, but I have no need for them at the moment. Thats a really good price so I'm sure they won't last long.

No problem! I love the bike as is with no fenders or other accesories- it looks really cool with that blue banana seat and will look even better cleaned up. There's something really nice about the lines of a stingray frame. :D

Back