1961 Corvette value ? (updated)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you can see is limited but what would a rough value be on a 1961 original copertone shcwinn corvette?
...Im looking at it this weekend and wondering roughly what its worth...Ive been looking for a copertone :D Any info would be helpful!

photoshotp.jpg

Re: 1961 Corvette value ?

I'd check the paint out real good if you're hoping for original. I'm not a Schwinn expert by any means but I do not believe that coppertone turned up until '63.

I've bought 3 Corvettes--2 were three speeds in fair/good shape a fenderless coppertone for $75 and '58 red for 100$ and one nice Bendix manual 2-speed for 140$. They're great bicycles and I got good deals on all 3 and would have paid more for any of them.

The one you've got there looks nice and clean, with kickback Bendix, if that's a Brooks saddle, then there's more money there yet. I'd say 200$ would be a good middle-of-the-road price for seller and buyer. Keep us updated! I like the look of it :wink:

Yep colors for '61 were Radient red, blue, green, or black. Interestingly enough the green ONLY came on 26" bikes.
1961_05.jpg

1961dlr_Corvette.JPG

WAG (Wild ... Guess) about $125-150 depending on how good or bad it is, and how original all the parts and pieces are.

Corvettes came with stainless fenders. Those look like chrome and also look too skinny for originals. The braces are chrome too so I'd say that bike is a restoration job. A real nice job though. $200 sounds good to me too. Gary

I'd say those are the original stainless steel fenders on it. The dents and scuffs on them match all of the SS fender sets I have. Chrome doesn't scratch or wrinkle quite like SS does.

It looks like the only things not original are the saddle (if it's a Brooks I'd take that over a Schwinn any day, if only for resale value), the grip tape, tires, and maybe the bars. They look like Wald but the Wald copy of the Corvette bars.

Good luck!

Looks like it has a red band 2 speed rear hub, made 60-64. 65 and later used the yellow band. The white decal on the seat tube isn't seen in the 61 illustrations, it is on the 62 and later, and 63 was the first year coppertone is listed as a color on the Corvette. Maybe the bike is a 63 or 64, the serial number would pinpoint it.

It's a good looking bike, if it rides and operates smoothly, I'd give $200 for it. If you want it to flip, you wouldn't make any money probably, but as your own bike it would be great.

highship said:
Is it possible that's an American?

Good catch. Some Americans had chrome braces. I can't see for sure but it looks like it has the skinny 3 piece front hub like all Americans had. They couldn't use the nicer German one piece hubs on the "Made in USA" American that they used on most of the other bikes of that era. I'll go with American until I see a pic of the other side. Gary

He wants $275 sounds a bit high for the bike and says it's a 61 and 100% original...not sure if he knows for sure..
I dig the color and these bikes are hard to come by around here... I'm going to try and get it for $250 not to make any money but to ride customize and enjoy! and it's a bike I like ASIs... Thanks for pointing out some things to look for and ask about! 8)

No reflectors! Knock off 30 for that at least 8)

Between the nice paint, kickback hub, and decent fenders, $250 would be a good deal imho. Almost positive that's an American seat tube decal. Corvettes & Jags had the pinstripey looking decal there. I'd bet it's a 64 American, perhaps with a Corvette chain guard. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Between the nice paint, kickback hub, and decent fenders, $250 would be a good deal imho. Almost positive that's an American seat tube decal. Corvettes & Jags had the pinstripey looking decal there. I'd bet it's a 64 American, perhaps with a Corvette chain guard. -Adam

Wow it seems it's not "100% original" as the seller is claiming..Im thinking hes not sure what he has. It's still a nice bike but the more I hear about it maybe being an american the less I want to pay top dollar for it...I guess ill know a lot more when I go look at it tomorrow or monday..This is why i posted before I went and looked at it! This site and it's members are great :D

Yeah still very nice bike. paint looks amazing. Even if it's not original it is an awesome bike to ride around on. I'd be more comfortable talking it down to $150-$175 but that's me. I have a '58 American (not nearly as nice) and it has that same decal on the seat tube. chain guard is nearly identical. Perhaps he restored it and thought he'd up the value by getting Corvette chain guard decals.

I love looking through the old catalogs. That decal has the different shades of white, the top half a little grayer, so it could be a Corvette, or even Jaguar with tank tabs removed, but the American's decal didn't have the two shades split in the middle. But it has to be a 63 or later, coppertone wasn't listed on any Schwinn before 63. I'm lucky enough to have a 63 jaguar frame, but not with a near perfect paint job like this bike. I also noticed the coppertone paint on your bike looks a tad darker than the excellent ones I've seen. Either it is just the lighting of the pic, or it's had a complete repaint. Still a great bike, I'd get it. And to help your side of the deal, the serial number can be deciphered easily. It will be on the left dropout and will start with a letter, signifying the month, and then a number. The first number is the last digit of the year, 1=61 2=62 3=63 4=64 5=65. Easy enough and he can't argue with that. It'll have 1 letter followed by 6 numbers total. B356321 would show the bike built in February of 1963.
Good luck on the deal!

Paint looks like a very uneven repaint to me. It is thick and dark where the sun should have made it lighter and light where it should still appear unworn.

I have no idea of a value, but I would offer $50 less to start because it will take a lot of work to repaint it correctly.

I don't think there's enough resolution in the pic to accurately assess the paint, and possibly color correction as well. :| It definitely didn't come with that saddle.

deorman said:
I don't think there's enough resolution in the pic to accurately assess the paint, and possibly color correction as well. :| It definitely didn't come with that saddle.

It is good enough to make me question it. I am just saying take a close look.

I went and rode the bike! I ended up passing on it :( ....I was on the fence and told him I would sleep on it...I was unsure if the paint was original. Not just that but it was in a lot rougher shape compared to what the first pic showed.. It looks like old paint with normal wear (a lot of wear) but it seemed almost two tone?? And there was a spot near the rear dropout where I could see the frame behind some paint imperfections? But there was alot of rusty scratches..He had the original seat and grips for it and that was in good condition (the brooks seat on it he wanted another $100 for)...The fenders where much more dented than the first pic shows...It did have a 2 speed kickback and the bike rode nice...Any ideas or comments on these new pics? Also the S# showed it was a 63...The first yearthe copertone paint came out... What do you yas think of the bike now, with the new pics and info? I think I could get it for $200...But was looking for a little more feedback 8)

RATROD.jpg

ratrod1.jpg

Back