1960's Western Flyer Spaceliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this one on CL. Just had to have it cuz I love the tank bikes. Put some decent tires on it and my buddy helped me get the horn and light working :D I Also made up a little makeshift lens for the tank since the original one was gone. I still want to find/make a light for the rack on back.
DSC01564.jpg

DSC01570.jpg

DSC01571.jpg

I would really like to find a more original seat with the crash bar so if anybody has one they would like to part with let me know a price. Would really appreciate it. Let me know what ya'll think.

yea the chainguard says western flyer on it and the instrument panel has a W/F on it. The tank has some writing on it but it is too faded to make out. I think maybe it says Sonic Flyer? I agree definitely Murray built. This is my second Murray built tank bike. The other is an AMC Caravan. Same chainrings(dead giveaway) but this has cool hubcap thingy on it.

Honestly we were sittin around workin on tank lights and horn and I had a weedeater line container sitting around and its very thin plastic so I just cut out a flat piece and trimmed it until it fit and taped it in. Not as good as original cuz it's not formed to stick out 1/4 inch or so but I'm sure original replacements are rare if not impossible to come by. My AMC Caravan was fortunate enough to keep its lens for its whole life.
DSC01498.jpg

Probably fairly rare to still have this. My buddy and I have been picking our brains on how to reproduce a more original looking piece but for now it'll do. Better than nothing at all in my opinion.

sweet lookin bike mastronaut. diggin that look! thanks for compliments guys. I really like this bike and hope to keep it for a long time

rcflyer...

You could always build your own lenses (and other stuff) with some vacuum forming. Its not hard to do, but requires some time to build a vacuum box, and the plug of the part your are wanting to reproduce. Do a google search on "how to vacuum form plastic" and you can see its really not that hard.

Hmmm... maybe there is a market for spaceliner headlight lenses????

mastronaut, that is one sweet 5speed conversion! (asuming thats a 5speed FW) i converted my 86' murray monterey to a 5speed too, but i'll wait till i get to rebuilding it sometime in the fall. allready converted it furthur to a 10speeed drivetrain and am thinking... yellow. do you have any problems with the contact of your rear brake shoes on the rim and or sidewall of the tire? i had an issue with my 86' murray (which frame looks similar to yours) and came up with a nifty way to add in more clearence for the shoes not to rub part of the sidewalls. and i won't even go into how awesome the facia of that bike is. (front) :D

roadmaster said:
mastronaut, that is one sweet 5speed conversion! (asuming thats a 5speed FW) i converted my 86' murray monterey to a 5speed too, but i'll wait till i get to rebuilding it sometime in the fall. allready converted it furthur to a 10speeed drivetrain and am thinking... yellow. do you have any problems with the contact of your rear brake shoes on the rim and or sidewall of the tire? i had an issue with my 86' murray (which frame looks similar to yours) and came up with a nifty way to add in more clearence for the shoes not to rub part of the sidewalls. and i won't even go into how awesome the facia of that bike is. (front) :D

I have a bit of rub-age but not too bad, I'd like to see your solution. What is the facia? :oops: Sorry...I really love the bike, it's heavy which makes it crazy fast!

bikes9.jpg

bikes10.jpg

Latest posts

Back