1960 Middleweight Frame Up Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I thought I'd get started on posting some photos of my 1960 middleweight bike build. Of course, I forgot to snap a photo of the frame before I started, which would have shown the nice rusted in place seat tube and kickstand. However, after the two hours of hammering, drilling, and wrenching to get those two things off, I got to these stages:

Sanding, sanding, sanding, paint stripping, sanding, and more sanding. This frame had been sitting under a house for 15 years or so, so you could imagine the amount of rust. But underneath it all was some good, bright, shiny steel:

stripped.jpg

Then I hit it with primer, wet sanding, primer again, more wet sanding, primer once more, and a final wet sanding. To be honest, I'm half thinking of just sealing this primer and being done with it. There aren't very many grey primer rat bikes out there as far as I can tell. We'll see though:

primer.jpg

Now I'm in the process of figuring out what kind of running gear i want to go with. This frame has a bracket for a rear brake, and although I like the smooth lines of a coaster brake hub, I'm not crazy about them in practice, and I intend to ride this bike as much as possible. We'll see though, I've got plenty of time to think out different options.

SO, it's started. Let's see if I can finish it now.

Nehoc

p.s. no comments on the mess in the garage. it's a long story, which is also quite boring. ;)

Back