1954 Rollfast Budget Rat NOW MOSTLY DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently scored a 1954 Rollfast for a mere 75 bucks. I had originally intended to grease and ride, but it's paint was less than half there, and closer examination revealed that many of it's parts were not stock. However, even though not stock, its parts were no newer than the late fifties. (With the exception of the 52 tooth Shelby crank).

So not stock= perfect to rat! I disassembled the bike and found many neato touches, such as New Departure Model D coaster hub and New Departure W five bearing front hub!

Rattle cans Ho! It's gonna be a fun build! Pics up soon!

Re: 1954 Rollfast Budget Rat

Here's some pictures. I apologize for the blurriness and poor lighting...

Here's what I'm beginning with:
Photo01141132_1.jpg

Naturally, the first thing to do is strip it down to a frame/fork and make sure it's not warped and all the angles are good. She checks out fine. :D
100_1235.jpg

Here's the decal from the seat tube. Don't worry, it's not getting removed...
100_1240.jpg

Here's the headbadge:
100_1236.jpg

This is the Shelby 52t chainring and crank that came on the bike. I will be cleaning and reusing these...
100_1239.jpg

One of the best parts of this find was this awesome Troxel long nose springer seat (with front spring!). It's getting cleaned up and mink oiled:
100_1231.jpg

This is the grimey New Departure Model D hubbed wheel. If it's anything like the front wheel, the grease has become solidified...
100_1228.jpg

Blurry detail of interrupter arm:
100_1229.jpg

Love these Rollfast bars! A fellow board member has expressed interest in the stem, but I can't bare to part with it.
100_1225.jpg

Blurry detail of official Rollfast "R" on stem:
100_1227.jpg

Cleaned up various chrome parts:
100_1224.jpg

Fenders from who knows when which are not stock so I don't feel guilty drilling holes in them for cool lights:
100_1223.jpg

My cat and my foot, 2-for-1:
100_1244.jpg

Me getting ideas on the day I got the bike :D :D :D
Photo01141140.jpg

And so, it begins!
100_1248.jpg

Cleaned up the front axle and bearings. Man was this grease old! It had become a solid, almost like coal! Diggin' these five-bearing New Departure hubs
100_1245.jpg

Here's the painted wheel and cool tires I found on clearance at the local Walmart:
100_1233.jpg

100_1234.jpg

Really wish you weren't painting it! :shock:

I'll still be watching...looks cool :mrgreen:

Yeah. I didn't want to paint it, but the paint is in such awful shape that it's literally falling off the metal. It's become like a fine dusty powder. I will be painting it totally incorrect colors but I will be keeping the "arrows ".

Here's the disassembled New Departure coaster hub. I don't know why there's so much griefing about these hubs, they're not difficult to disassemble, and what a cool hub design! This thing was built to take a severe pounding for eons! Surprisingly, the components were pretty clean, which makes me wonder if this hub had seen a rebuild or two before..
100_1249.jpg

Large bearings, looking pretty sweet.
100_1250.jpg

Whatever this thing is called, I've personally never seen one that is still metal colored, usually they're black as night
100_1252.jpg

And this thing (I also don't know what this is called) also in sweet shape
100_1253.jpg

And of course this whozywatits (stack of clutch washers?). The amount of detail of machining is impressive.
100_1251.jpg

New Departure Model D is such a talked about hub, and I can see why, the level of quality is so far ahead of any current bicycle part. If maintained I have no doubt these hubs could last for a hundred or more years! And the coolest part is that they were made not ten miles from my house in Bristol Connecticut. :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The New Departure Model D coaster hub cleaning and reassembly went swimmingly, I even took some emery cloth to the clutch washers and she works like a dream. :) Here's a few pics of the rear rim all painted up with the tire.
100_1254.jpg

Detail of sprocket
100_1255.jpg

Interrupter Arm
100_1256.jpg

Both wheels reassembled with tires. I'm impressed by how far a good cleaning, a few minutes with emory paper, and some fresh grease/oil goes with these hubs. :)
100_1257.jpg

I have a ladies rollfast with very similar new departure hubs.. I took the rear apart and internals were identical, I didn't think it was all that difficult to deal with either.. Mine works very well also. Wheels look sweet. Will you be changing the frame color? Blue? White would be pretty cool with the blue wheels.

The frame is going to be satin black two-toned with the same blue, and with custom stenciled "arrows ". Much thanks to Axespaul for documenting his stencil technique.

The paint I'm using is Rustoleum " full sail gloss blue" and Rustoleum " satin black". I tried Krylon, but it doesn't have the look of old enamel.

Blueboy5000 said:
Here's some pictures. I apologize for the blurriness and poor lighting...

Me getting ideas on the day I got the bike :D :D :D
Photo01141140.jpg

is that bike a 24" or are you a giant :shock:

just kidding! looking foward to see this build

It's a 26". I'm 5'10", Lol, I guess I do look humungous in that pic :D

Here is the cleaned up and mink oiled seat. I'm not gonna paint it because the patina looks pretty cool. I think it gives it a look of history.
100_1260.jpg

Rear of seat. Love the chrome bumper!
100_1261.jpg

Up-side-down view, the seat pan is great :D :D
100_1262.jpg

I love this spring in the nose.
100_1263.jpg

After studying the styles of paint, both on the bike, and for it's period, I came up with the idea to do the blue and black in my own version of the original design.

So after drawing a bunch of "arrows", I decided I'm gonna go with this for the main tubes, as it's a Rollfast after all, and I don't want to stray too far from the original designs, I call it a "snyder arrow", as similar designs appear in variations on Synder built bikes.
100_1267.jpg

Then I made these with masking tape and parchment paper. Though next time, I'll probably use wax paper as a backing.
100_1268.jpg

Can't wait to see the stencils in action :mrgreen:

Not much got done today, aside from playing with my stencils and making this! If you can't find a 57 year old part, well then, you just gotta make your own. I made this with a 1 7/8" muffler clamp:
100_1270.jpg

Here's the mocked-up front end. Don't mind the crappy paint, the fork is being resprayed, this painting was purely experimental:
100_1274.jpg

100_1273.jpg

So far, I'm super-happy with this build. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Rollfast is coming along nicely. Not much left to do except put the chain and chainguard on and wire the lights.

100_1288.jpg

100_1287.jpg

Well here is the finished product, well almost, I got some new fender braces and a nicer seat post on the way. Turned out pretty nice. It's a really nice and comfy scoot :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

100_1289.jpg

100_1290.jpg

Here's detail of my "arrows"
100_1291.jpg

Chainline and crankset
100_1293.jpg

Taillight
100_1294.jpg

Genuine naugahide Battery case (custom built :lol: ) Lights run on 9.6v Black and Decker rechargeable drill battery:
100_1295.jpg

Exhaust pipe clamp strut rod mount
100_1297.jpg

Big cushy two-tone grips
100_1296.jpg

Over all, it was a fun build (and cheap!) and resulted in a smooth, comfy bike!

Thanks guys. I had fun with this one. I'll post night shots later today to show off my super-bright incandescent lights.

Back