1954 hawthorne(rustbucket)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished the bike last year. It's a 1954 Hawthorne, hand made springer front end. leather seat, with a 139cc 2 stroke out of
an old snow thrower. I sand blasted the frame then left it bare, The first belt between the motor and the jack shaft has a
spring loaded idler hooked to a brake lever. the second belt goes to a 20inch hoop bolted to the back wheel with 6 hand
made stainless steel brackets. sorry i don't have any pics of the build, I didn't know about this site at the time.
About your clutch maybe you could swap the springs. I bet you could find some to make it engage at w lower rpm,
If you get it to work at 1000rpm it would work on the jack shaft.
a few shots of my bike.

http://youtu.be/yPRUlDhrFVY

]
http://youtu.be/4XIZfNM8mB0

Just a few photos. note the PBR can, it holds the key and kill switch.
IMG_20120511_173738.jpg

IMG_20120511_173636.jpg

IMG_20120511_173342.jpg

IMG_20120511_173301.jpg

IMG_20120511_173859.jpg

DUDE, I am seriously DIGGIN your SteamPunK ride!!!!
Nice job, wondering what ya next project is goin ta look like!!
Welcome :mrgreen:

Very nice 42. would make a very cool gasbike mine didn't come with a skip tooth, but i think i might add one to my next project
The trick is to fit everything an still keep the pedal drive so its legal as a motor assisted bike.by the way mine doesn't one "kit"
part on it, eveything was made on taken off something else. thats the fun part , any one can buy a kit. making it from scratch
is worth the effort.

Yeah! I mocked up an old OK Battery to hide the battery for my headlight, similar to the PBR can. Nice touch.....

If any one need help setting up a motor feel free to pick my brain. ( I live for this crap! ) and I had to figure all this out on my own
with a lot of trial error. I work in a shop at a rail road fixing locos, railcars, and all the junk that keeps them going. so
"power transmission" is something I've done for the last ten years.

No kidding. I'm the shop foreman for Vt Railway. I started in the shop then went out played yard conductor for a few years.
then went back to the shop then the old foreman retired. I still keep the conductor cert. so I can help out when they get short handed,
or I need the over time. I'm better suited for the shop, and it's where i build all my junk.

Back