1952 SCHWINN SOMETHING

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I recently made a trade with a guy out in California for this August 1952 Schwinn. Not quite sure of the model since the original paint is long gone and some got creative down the line. Guessing it was either a Phantom or an Autocycle. The springer fork is old, but it doesn't have "S" bolts so I'm assuming it's not a Schwinn????

What really got my attention was the set of 70's chrome ARAYA 26" x 2.125" wheels with blackout Shimano hubs. You don't come across that combo very often...especially in mint condition.

Here's the shot the guy sent me before we traded...

schwinn.jpg

Here's what the bike looks like after I received it and worked a little magic on it. Washed it :giggle:. I installed some new tires and tubes, changed out the stem and bars and also installed a Person's saddle. It some weird oddball crank so I installed a Sugino crank that I had along with a Wald chainring. The bike rides super nice....glad to have it in the fleet now!

schwinn_strand001_small.jpg

schwinn_strand003_small.jpg

schwinn_strand004_small.jpg

schwinn_strand002_small.jpg

schwinn_fleet.jpg

Hard to tell the model , dose it appear to be a balloon frame or middle weight? , and your correct on the Springer being a aftermarket.
Cool bike ...it appears your filling up the stable.

The with of the back bone between wher the the rear fender brace is .

Must be a middleweight

e138bedf256459dab236160d05dbedc6.jpg

I'd say your correct again , twice in one day , your on a roll !
Lol , excuse my razzing , it's my Nature , but if you do the same on your blue Cruiser you'll see the difference.

Last edited:
I'd say your correct again , twice in one day , your on a roll !
Lol , excuse my razzing , it's my Nature , but if you do the same on your blue Cruiser you'll see the difference.

So would the Phantom and AutoCycle been considered middleweight bikes in 1952?

For some reason I'm not finding any other models that year with this frame design.

So would the Phantom and AutoCycle been considered middleweight bikes in 1952?

For some reason I'm not finding any other models that year with this frame design.

It could have been a hornet or another model using a Cantilever style frame , as far as I kno Phantoms and AutoCycles were always based on a balloon tired frame , but don't quote me on all this , I was wrong once before..., just enjoy it , I myself really hardly ever date my bikes or even get caught up in models or Resurch, to me if it isn't 100% Original in parts and good condition, it could be anything you want to make it .

Rafael

1955 Was , first year :
For Middleweight.
So, if it is Middleweight;
Can't be 1952.:shake:

Agree: original sprocket looks best on it. Yes, I said sprocket;
Correct term : 1/2 pitch.

chainrings,, are 1" pitch. (Skiptooth).

ENJOY:thumbsup:

What was the exact measurement? May be a ballooner according to this post : 3 3/16" vs 2.5"

Also double check the serial as I remember some double serials in the early 50's to late 50's.

What was the exact measurement? May be a ballooner according to this post : 3 3/16" vs 2.5"

Also double check the serial as I remember some double serials in the early 50's to late 50's.

Yes if the measurement is takin from the inside.

The wheels, tires and saddle look great, however i would put a Schwinn crank back on it. That one just screams Monark to me.
-Shawn

The wheels, tires and saddle look great, however i would put a Schwinn crank back on it. That one just screams Monark to me.
-Shawn

I think the crank is fine , it's the Sprocket that bothers me ....

Araya 26 x 2.125 Chrome-plated & Stout.. Very WIDE Tandem rims:thumbsup: Like you say King Rat, you don't see those very often. Looks like yours are drilled for heavy gauge spokes? They also made them in a smaller, 14 gauge drilling. I have a pair laying around somewhere if anyone needs em.(large drilling) skpc

Back