1952 Schwinn Hornet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This one was given to me, I took it apart and had it hanging on the wall of my garage for a good while. I was going to restore it, but hey when you don't have time or money you rat :lol: I really have been wanting to ride this one even though its missing tank, rocket ray, and truss rods. I'm just going to ride without them until i can get some for it later down the road.
Here are some pictures of it after I got it home, the guy that had it has just had it sitting in his yard. A friend of his gave it to him, said he got it new along with a matching girls bike for his wife (that is long gone)
IMG_20110611_114504.jpg

IMG_20110611_114535.jpg

IMG_20110611_114521.jpg

Its been painted all black by someone over the years, so decided to try to strip some of it off this weekend see what was under it. Well found red lots of red, not a sign of the second color. There were some gold (might have been cream at one time) pin striping and other markings. Next thing I need to do is take the wheels apart regrease everything. Sure its going to need pretty much all the 50+ old grease removed and cleaned out. Oh well one step at a time, plan on getting some fine sandpaper and try to remove some more of the black. I used some graffiti remover and steel wool, worked really well just takes alot of time and I didn't have enough steel wool so had to use what I had until if fell apart into nothing...
FxCam_1318196229383.jpg

FxCam_1318206176808.jpg

I also hammered the fender back, its not perfect but its going to do. Probaly get some better fenders for it later on.
Got the chain off and put it in the blast cabinet it looks like now. I cleaned it then put it in a grease bath, heated the grease up till it melted and got all into the chain. Just need to get the extra grease off it now.

Does anyone know a way to get the head badge all shiny again? Want to get it all clean before I put it back on.

YOUBUGME2 said:
Does anyone know a way to get the head badge all shiny again? Want to get it all clean before I put it back on.

Assuming it's brass you can polish it up with a Dremel.

Sweet something else I need to ad to my tool collection. My wife is going to end up hating tools lol

Back