1951 Columbia skip tooth into a boardtrack racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did it.

I bought an old Columbia off of craigslist.

Plan is to get it going under pedal power, then
maybe put an 80cc engine on it.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Until the nets are full,
BC in KC
13777d1254179705-new-boardtack-project-dsc_0376.jpg

Those 2 cycle motors viberate pretty good and it might not be the best idea to stick one on a brazed frame. They have been known to break newer frames.

40cc is plenty for a bike. That's actually legal in a lot of places, and won't overtax the old frame. Or if you just gotta go full-bore, box in the bottom bracket/stand-hanger, spot weld the dropouts and add a steering head gusset. Heck, you got a bad to the bone clunker after all that, who needs a motor? :lol: 8) Those old Columbia frames are fairly resilient, though. :|

I'm not sure of that. I have a 50's Colombia frame that the bottom straight tube fell out at the neck. I'm really not sure I would stick a motor on it bigger than a model airplane one. :shock: :lol:

Yeah, I wasn't kidding about the head gusset, they are definitely not built to do thirty through a pothole. Never tastes good when you're eating street. I have never heard of that happening on the "electraform" tank bikes, though.

It's completely possible to put an engine on a frame that old, but definately beef up the frame a bit. Gusset what seems appropriate, and make sure your motor mounts spread the load out over the frame. Trust me, I ripped my CWC Roadmaster frame in half with a 6HP engine on it. A little more bracing, and now it's a tank!

Hey,

I actually had some time this weekend to work on the bike. Managed to bob the rear fender and move the brace to a vertical position like the HD peashooters. Also cut and welded the seat post so it would lower and move the seat to the rear. Managed to get the seat frame separate from the seat pan. Primered both and painted both with rattle cans. The plan is to recover the seat myself. I also welded the kickstand bolt hole shut. Going with a rear fender stand. I'll keep you posted, thanks for looking.

BC in KC

15931d1258318923-new-boardtack-project-fender-seat-post.jpg

15932d1258318933-new-boardtack-project-seat.jpg

If you decide to put a HT motor on the frame i would consider custom mounts incorporating neoprene or rubber bushes as per used in car suspension, they are very easily adapted for mounting these HT motors i can post a few pics if needed. It cuts down the vibration greatly.

KiM

I know Kim is partial to electric but if you decide on gas, get one of the new light weight Honda GX50 four stroke motors. They really don't vibrate like the cheap Chinese 2 strokes do. There is a guy on the MotorizedBikes forum who builds a frame mount platform with an adjustable belt drive transmission that has done 50+MPH with the Honda GX50 power plant. His website is http://www.ezmotorbike.com

I'm kind of shocked he can build a nice bolt in unit for under a grand let alone $650. It's worth looking into. He doesn't list any prices on his website but I found out through his post on the forum that that's what he's asking for the kit.

Later Travis

Welcome Bluecar, nice build you´ve got going on.
Very nice garage!

Iron, that´s one sweet engine, I´d love to get one of those...

Managed to get back out and work on it some more.

Welded the fork brace, just need to clean up the welds.

Check out the mini rockers I made.

Thanks for looking,

BC in KC

16662d1259554255-new-boardtack-project-fork.jpg

Always been a fan of straight-bar frames, and it looks great so far. But I have to ask....why do you cobra guys baby them so much....Always has marveled me :)

Great fork truss. I now have some ideas on how to build one of my own. This is a cool build, waiting for updates. Oh yeah, If you don't try, you will never know!

IronSpadeCycles said:
I know Kim is partial to electric but if you decide on gas, get one of the new light weight Honda GX50 four stroke motors. They really don't vibrate like the cheap Chinese 2 strokes do. There is a guy on the MotorizedBikes forum who builds a frame mount platform with an adjustable belt drive transmission that has done 50+MPH with the Honda GX50 power plant. His website is http://www.ezmotorbike.com

I'm kind of shocked he can build a nice bolt in unit for under a grand let alone $650. It's worth looking into. He doesn't list any prices on his website but I found out through his post on the forum that that's what he's asking for the kit.

Later Travis

Really off topic, but what kind of transmission/clutch is he running on those EZ Motorbikes?

Back