1950's Western Flyer Fire Flite

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked from CL. Advertised as an American Flyer for $50
IMG_2043_zps4de209a8.jpg

IMG_2051_zps2d7b6194.jpg

IMG_2047_zpsb3388394.jpg

IMG_2049_zps21da3674.jpg

The Good:
Loaded it up for $30.
Originally an Arizona bike brought to Georgia a couple of years ago so very little rust.

The bad:
Obviously the bent forks. I'm gonna try my hand at straightening them, otherwise I've got a donor Murray that I scored a couple of weeks ago that I can scavenge from.
Spray bombed at some point in it's life. I've got to try to remove the top layer of paint and save as much of the original paint and markings as possible. Open to ideas on this!

Wholly smokes!! Finnaly a fireflite like mine!! If it has a "mox....." On bb shell its a 58 like mine is. Mine was spray bombed also. I used laquer thinner at first, then 000 steelwool and wd40. Be careful w/ the thinner tho, easy to take off too much! Your missing the truss rods, fenders andrack. Best riding bike ive got! Id post a pick of mine but cant on my phone.

After working the paint for toooo looong I came to the conclusion that it had too many issues for me to ever be happy with the results. I've decided that (as soon as I finish up another open project) I'm going to strip it and repaint it. Wish I could save the graphics but not looking good. I've got a buddy that owes me some powder coating work so I'm thinking a copper vein frame with bare metal tank and chainguard and cream tires.
Forks were trashed. No way can I straighten them with what I have available. I've got a couple of donors that I can rob from though. Also, the crank was trashed. Bearings, etc. BB had more rusty water than grease in it.
So, Truss rods? Beyond what's on the forks now?

Ya, just saw them in first pic(truss rods) :oops:
Colors sound good , i wanna paint a bike copperish here pretty soon too.
Ill try to post pic @ work later this morn just for reference?

Back