1950's Schwinn Cycle Truck Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those I soaked in Oxalic acid then scrub with a brush and repeat. Then I washed them in baking soda water to neutralize the acid, rinse, and re-cleared to give them some gloss back and to seal it from further rust.

bike2112 said:
Ok need advice/help. The stem and seatpost are frozen frozen frozen. I need to see what the experts suggest as I do not want to use too much force or heat?????

Please help if you can.

First I'd try to soak it in PB Blaster for a few days. Then if that doesn't help try a little Oxalic acid down inside to eat away some of the rust, repeat, scream, curse, repeat again. If that doesn't work you may have to sacrifice the stem to save the fork.

bike2112 said:
Awesome, thanks a bunch.

Just to clarify it is a steel stem correct? If it's aluminum DO NOT use Oxalic acid!

JUST REMBER TO TAKE TIME & DONT RUSH !
TOOK 2 WEEKS TO GET MINE OUT ON A ROADMASTER CYCLETRUCK!
SOAK IT
TAP IT
PULL IT
TWIST IT
THAT STEM IS NOT COMMON.
:D :D DON'T RUSH ! :D :D
GOOD LUCK DAN

Awesome bike, if all of the above fails and you decide to cut stem or can't get seatpole out I have a way that will remove it, I used a hacksaw blade in a sawza, took a while but I did it lol so no matter what that fork should be saveable lots of soaking and hacking, and more cursing like mentioned above, also if it comes down to this make sure you buy a big pack of blades, I broke many doing it lol I was suprised when my western flyer's aluminum stem came out after a night when i sprayed a few sprays of WD40 in it,

bike2112 said:
It's definately frozen in there really solid. I was able to free the headset though, so worst case, I clean the headset, cups and stem on the bike and leave them as is instead of risking damage.

Yeah if you can get at the bearings to re-grease them and ride it as is you can keep spraying PB blaster in it for years to come and eventually it'll come loose.

Back