1950s Firestone Collapsable Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
388363_2762915474759_1309465402_n.jpg

$50.00 Yard Sale Find!

That's a cool bike. 16" wheels? I've never seen one, and I've seen many many bikes. I like that better than my buildoff Rollfast. Where I'm going to retire in the Philippines, those small folders are perfect.

2rpdylg.jpg

That bike intriged me, so I did some poking around while on a slow shift at work. Many pics say it's a late 40's bike. But no real definition given though.

It may be Colson or Huffman, no consensus on that either. Check for a serial number. This is a quote I found on a message board: "Typical Colson serial numbers have an upper and lower line of characters. One line consists of a letter and a number, the number has been interpreted to represent the last number of the year of the bike. In that light, O7 could be interpreted as 1947 as the feather weights were not produced in 1937 and Colson had sold out their bicycle division before 1957"

Whether it's 40's or 50's, it definitely built like a tank, and yours looks in very good condition.

I had always assumed these were made by Monark because of the chainwheel. They continue to appear in catalogs long after Colson disappeared too:

Western Auto Catalog - 1965 - Page 60 by Zaz Databaz, on Flickr

At the same time it would seem strange for Huffman to continue making the (Monark?) Hi-Lo bikes in the 1960s when they had their own Tote bikes and were also importing Moultons. It would seem they'd have their bases pretty thoroughly covered.

I'll look for the serial number in a little bit. Had it out for a yard sale yesterday, just to show the bikes off, and a lot of older people came up and were amazed that I had one. I only got it just a few blocks from my house and it was in rough shape due to being in "grandmas garage". A little elbow grease later, and there she shines. Not all that heavy, but still a comfortable ride.

I think it should be on a rear drop out.

After a little of digging, it seems the connection to Colson is a misunderstanding, Colson marketed a "HiLo" bike in the 1930s, but it was a conventionally sized bike with a two speed bottom bracket.

If it is Huffman built the first digit after the prefix would be the model year - so 1961. This of course is assuming Huffman made it. If these bikes were indeed made by Monark it could be something entirely different, but Monark's bicycle division was taken over by Huffman in the late 1950s. So it could be anybody's guess. Does anybody know anything about Monark serial numbers?

What brand is the coaster brake?

I built something that looks similar last night using my old RX5 frame. Little short cranks are perfect, this thing is super fun to ride, and fast. :D
Picture832.jpg

Picture831.jpg

The last one that was on ebay ended for $75 with 0 bids. But it was also in rough condition.

Back