1950s CWC

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I passed through a small rural crossroads village of about 50 people last Friday and spotted a kids bike and some Walmart type mountain bikes in front of a house with a for sale sign on them. I stopped and noticed a CWC was also in the line up. The seller was an 80 year old guy that liked to tinker with bikes. The CWC was his own ride but he fixed up an inexpensive mountain bike and he likes that more so the CWC was for sale. It rode straight but had a very loose head set and the New Departure rear hub didn't feel right. He rebuilt the hub and re spoked the wheels and put on old alloy mountain bike rims. He just followed the pattern of of another bike wheel and it might be wrong, I really haven't looked at the wheels close yet. The seatpost had a bolt through it and it was loose. I bought it for the pristine skip tooth chain, seat and because the frame had been recently powder coated. When I got it home and started disassembling it I found the 5/8 seat post had a modern seat post placed over the 5/8 rod with a hole drilled through the new post and the rod post and the whole thing held together with a cross bolt. No wonder it was wobbly. The head set had a crank race for the top headset race. The rear bearings on the new departure were so tight it would barley turn. I want to play musical bike parts and use the seat, skip tooth chain and New Departure hub on a 1930s Snyder I an planning to rebuild. The red frame will became another Klunker. He also said hadn't gotten around to powder coating the fenders yet and said I could have them. They are peaked fenders and in pretty bad shape. I am not sure they can be saved. They are soaking in phosphoric acid and it is too early to see if they have enough metal to do something with or if they will end out looking like Swiss Cheese.

I won't use this powder coated chain wheel or crank as I already have nice ones.

I replaced the stacked plate type front fork with one with canti brakes. I also replaced the red powder coated original type handlebars with mid rise old school BMX bars.

Seat I plan to use on another bike. The red bike will have a MB saddle on it.

Back