1950 schwinn starlet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week friday i picked up a ladies schwinn i had been eyeing up for about 9 months.. Just thought it was yard decoration.. Turns out 75$ took it home and it came with a rollfast also. I have her all apart ready to blast and prime. Should have that done this week. This will be the first of many classic bike builds. Thanks a lot to all the jerks on here with ...... bikes lol!
Here she is in all her rusted glory.
9e7847fc.jpg

One of the coolest and most unique chaineings ive seen.
df512d40.jpg

Coming apart very smooth so far.
cb694bb6.jpg

Anyone need a chain? Oh and im holding it straight out.
587f9fca.jpg

How about a battery?
e3741f64.jpg

The stem and fork were about the hardest thing to get off, other stuck bolts were just drilled out. Plannimg on all brand new stainless hardware.
81f0a601.jpg

Not all the peices parts but shes torn apart.
726c14d5.jpg

Let me know what yall think.

Re: 1940's? Ladies schwinn build/restore

Very cool project,I found a 50's JC Higgins a few weeks back but Im not sure if I should build it or part it out.Cant wait to see what you do to this one! :mrgreen:

Ot should turn out very cool. Its for my wife. Im keeping evwrything orriginal besides the pedals and seat. Oh the paint will be diffeeent also.. I have a pretty cool idea for tue scheme.. I think it will be pretty slick. Thanks for looking.

Before
875bd77f.jpg

And with a little love, polish and steel wool...
c07f86f4.jpg

a95ddec5.jpg

01c4bcc6.jpg

Anyone have any idea on the year of this bike? Anything would help.. Ive been looking around and can't seem to find anything.

Re: Schwinn starlet? 1955?

The chain was funny.. I couldent get it off for the life of me.. So two pairs of pliers broke it nicely. And All elbow grease! The stem, seatpost, handlebars and a couple other parts will get new chrome. I think the parts cleaned up well also. And I believe the bike is a schwinn starlet. Year is still not sure. But I'm glad I have reference for paint scheme.

Yeah I know.. The frame is not at my house right now.. I will look tomorrow. So with the numbers, how can I figure out year/model with the number. Frame/tank/rack/chaingaurd say 1955 starlet but chainring looks quite old? Because schwinn wasn't called Arnold schwinn after like the late 30s 40 era. I dunno. Im just glad to find some pictures to get a very authentic paint scheme. I'm not going to do the original color but I think y'all will think it's purdy. I am going to be getting it stripped tomorrow. And will put up some updated pics.

Stripped frame as far as possible with 4" grinder. Needs a little hand work and then it's going to get painted. Is the brazing common? I kinda like it raw..
d0e5cbeb.jpg

95f70f90.jpg

c00ac9fd.jpg

Wow! This thing looks sweet the way it sits. The brazing looks awsome.
Can't wait to see what you do with this. Good luck on your build. :D

Is there a serial number on the left dropout? Or on the bottom of the bottom bracket? The cranks may have a 2 digit year on them also.

5a98a6a6.jpg

Here's the number off the bb. I have no idea what to do with the number so f anyone knows how to date it.. Thanks.. I am wanting to pair it but a nice clear coat would be sweet I think. I dunno.

Nov 07, 1950 going by the serial number chart.

Here's a 1950 Starlet from the catalog:

345dmr9.jpg

That is what I found this morning also. Thanks. I'm kinda torn on color now.. I was going to keep the same scheme as factory but instead of white I was going to go black.. Which is what I will most likely still do. I should have everything stripped down to bare this weekend and primer should be down.. I'll post update pictures.

After quite a bit of wire wheeling and Sanding I have the frame fork and rim primed. I didn't have all that much time to work on everything. Plus I ran out of primer. A quick sanding tomorrow and one last little prime blast and these parts should be ready for paint.
d52842c5.jpg

7fab3205.jpg

9069fddb.jpg

1baa0985.jpg

The primer is all on. I layer two heavy coats. Sanded in between. I let the first prime coat dry a few days before sanding and painting the second. I hope to have some color on this weekend. My schedule has been pretty busy lately and any second I can get to work on it I am.
4ee48e97.jpg

I have a neat idea with this.
89797526.jpg

My sister said it looks like body parts hanging in the garage. Like leather-faces garage haha.

Thanks for looking.

Have base coats on, masked and ready to shoot the black. Not many update pics but here is one. It's been a slow build but it's coming along.. Life has been pretty busy for me.
553e0a09.jpg

I was able to put on a nice light coat of black last night. I can't wait to pull the tape on that tank.
f5f07fd4.jpg

ce10a9ca.jpg

08b8a159.jpg

Te picture I have of the frame is too dark. I'll try and get one outside.

IT LOOKS GREAT!! PULL THAT TAPE!! PULL THAT TAPE!! AND GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Latest posts

Back