1950 Hawthorne Tanker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was browsing CL yesterday and I happened to see a picture of this bicycle for sale at an estate sale near my house. They had it priced crazy high $450 :13: but because it was close I figured it might be worth a look. In my mind the kind of person that would have saved an old bicycle for 60 plus years has probably also saved lots of other good stuff. So I hopped in the car.

When I got there the bike was still there and actually looked pretty hood. I mean it looked really good. The frame and fork were straight. Even the wheels were straight and the old tires weren't dry-rotted at all. So I got one of the people working the sale and we started talking. Apparently someone online had responded to his ad and offered him less than half his asking price for it which I think had cheesed him a bit. So, when I offered him a fair price for it he accepted.:cool2:

Once I got it home I looked it over. Outside of having some Schwinn grips on it it looked good and ready to go. I hit it with a couple shots of penetrating oil and hopped on. I didn't even have to put air in the tires. 30 minutes later I'd biked a few miles on the old girl and it rode great!

cd90cca6a0c56fad6f40d6c8a8e0b9c7_zps1adf63f7.jpg

8b46e486ec338df49974a1920971c22d_zps3665b537.jpg

I've taken the child seat off and will try to sell it to recoup some of my purchase price.

It wasn't a steal but it was a fair price and in good condition.

What it cost ?
u
just found one at the peddlers mall for 200.00 about the same shape.didnt know if good deal or not

Cool!Good deal for both of you!!

What it cost ?
u
just found one at the peddlers mall for 200.00 about the same shape.didnt know if good deal or not

I would say for $200 it'd be a good deal if it's in this condition. I paid more than that for this one but it is probably the only old bike I've ever bought that needed absolutely NOTHING to get on and ride. Nice original shape is pretty uncommon to find without shelling out some $$$.

I will also add that obviously I like to pay as little as possible for things but in a case where there is family sentimental attachment I try to be honest and fair about what a bike is really worth. I don't have a problem paying that.

Hey now CeeBee. I got the model above a cranbrook for only $60 off cl. And it was still in the box.

Even a poor condition tank bike in the sf Bay Area will run you at least $300 and more than likely $400 or more for just a basic Higgins or Hawthorne.

Back