1949 Columbia - No idea what model ...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBP

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on Craigslist today .... Can't wait to get it home and clean it up.
Here's a photo from the ad...
Does anyone know what the correct chainguard looks like? Also, thinking about putting a pair of cream tires on it... your thoughts?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :)

I don't know about cream tires or guard, but that bike looks great just the way it is. Love the faded red color and the graphics. 8) Gary

more pics please... i have a 1949 columbia as well exept with out the springer fork that i am restoring and i need more picks of the paint for painting it

incase you were wondering the tank and rack aren't original to the bike. i also found this pic online with no info but just to give you an idea of what it is soposed to be like.

Bikeboss - thanks for sharing your pics. I took more pictures, but haven't downloaded them yet (I'll do it tonight).

Meanwhile, here is a pic I found on the internet. The graphics are slightly different on this 1949, but these are the parts I was leaning toward.

At some point, the kickstand was modified - it's all bent to heck...

ya i am not trying to argue with you but i think you bike looks more simler then the one you think it is. but any way thanks for the pics!

Chances are good you had the enclosed chainguard. With a locking springer, your bike may have been a higher equipped model which had the wrapping guards. I think 1949 was even the first year for this springer. Here are a few advertisements that may point you in the right direction. Chainguard shouldn't be terribly hard to find. Nice bike! Good luck and enjoy.

DaydreamMikeGiantKiller.jpg

1949Postersecondunfold.JPG

Jpromo said:
Chances are good you had the enclosed chainguard. With a locking springer, your bike may have been a higher equipped model which had the wrapping guards. I think 1949 was even the first year for this springer. Here are a few advertisements that may point you in the right direction. Chainguard shouldn't be terribly hard to find. Nice bike! Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks Jpromo! Thats what I thought. I've seen several bikes on the web with similar graphics - but without the springer, including BikeBoss's {pictured above] and a Goodyear that Gordon was kind enough to show me. My bike still has the Chaingaurd clamp attached, which seems to be positioned in the correct spot for the enclosed chainguard. Thanks again! Really appreciate the help!!

Latest posts

Back