1941 Schwinn Preservation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to try and save or hold on to the original paint job. Its got some bad section with peeling paint/no paint just rust. But it made it this long, so I'll try and save it for another 72 years.
Any info you guys/girls have working on these, such as, tips, products or procedure are welcomed. Thanks

Not sure if the paints are the same (so might want to try a small area out of view), but with my 65 truck I used a 2000 grit on most of the paint and 1500 grit on the rusted areas. Then sprayed the truck with a clear.
Cool bike!

Great Bike! I wish my frame had the original paint yours has! I'm interested to see how bright the blue comes out after you clean this up. The blue on my fenders has this really cool metallic quality to it that is striking (wish I had more of that paint left too!)

A DX should have a flared front fender. That metallic blue fender is probably off of a newer 60's Schwinn. I can't ever remember seeing a metallic paint DX. I believe the DX was retired before the metallic paint came. Gary

I feel that the clear coat would be the best way to preserve the the paint. But it would give the bike a look and finish that is not original. Clear it or clean and polish it and let it be? If I take care of her and keep it out of the weather like she's been, the original paint should survive. Will update with clean pics. Besides eday and what not, where would be a good place to get a front rim? 26'' I think, have to check.

5f6ca6b4-17b1-4686-943a-cd58d68a2623_1000.jpg
:?: :?:
Home depot should have this one...

If the paint was worse or more rust present I'd clear it. But in your case I'd polish and let it ride. If you notice it degrading at all you can always get a flat or satin clear and go over it later. Good save though.

Latest posts

Back