1941 OCC Schwinn DX Hybrid "Generation Gap"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was kinda sitting on this frame for build off time but Ive built bikes for alot of others lately and figure doing one for myself wont hurt.
Its a 1941 Schwinn DX frame.I was determined to have tube forks of some kind on it but didnt want to pay a ton for a set so I started experimenting with different size OCC stingray forks until one worked.They are off a 16" occ and easily accept 26 wheels.I intended to use 24x3.0 tires front and back but Im sure I will be limited to 26x2.125 on the front and 24x3.0 rear.
I like the old mixed with new idea on bikes so I tossed the bars off a 20/24 OCC on it.

Its just at the mockup/concept stage right now with some rusty S-7's on it.Plan on a full job,paint,polish etc.
I like the stance at the moment.
41dxprojectand50hiawatha007.jpg

41dxprojectand50hiawatha008.jpg

41dxprojectand50hiawatha009.jpg

Re: 1941 OCC Schwinn DX Hybrid

Sweet, has a mean stance! 8) I'll be watching this build, I have a 24x3 tire sitting in the parts bin :mrgreen:

Xcruiser said:
scott brownsey said:
sweet i dig it r you goin to run a tank?
Hope to,the only ones Ive found are postwar repros one of the big ebay sellers is claiming are NOS at a crazy price as usual.
you could modify the fat triangular top tube from an OCC bike as the tank, which would keep with the theme.

deven_science said:
Xcruiser said:
scott brownsey said:
sweet i dig it r you goin to run a tank?
Hope to,the only ones Ive found are postwar repros one of the big ebay sellers is claiming are NOS at a crazy price as usual.
you could modify the fat triangular top tube from an OCC bike as the tank, which would keep with the theme.
Thats a good idea,Ill check it out.THanks

I like the way the forks work with that bike. I just picked up a baby OCC today for $5 and have already stripped it down for parts.

scott brownsey said:
its about for you to give us sum new pic update
Yeah buddy,sorry.I am struggling with this build big time,just cant figure out my direction with it(not sure what the hang up is lol)
The occ bars were too low and it looked funny with the tall seat so I slapped on some cruiser bars made for a bmx style double clamp.I like it.
41dx005.jpg

41dx004.jpg

found a cool hairpin seat,its kinda bulky but what the heck!
41dx007.jpg

white 24" wheels with white spokes came in.Hope I can mount the skiptooth sprocket on them.
41dx006.jpg

front mounted,the tolerance is close ,about an 1/8th per side if I am lucky.Think i might have a fix (hammer) for this.
It rolls free and easy at the moment.
41dx008.jpg

Ok wew! Think Im back on track with this build.I was getting mega frustrated trying to find direction with this one.
anyhoo- pulled the hairpin seat for a different project cuz it didnt look right ,got the white/white wheels on and welded up a layback post.
Still in the mockup stage but real progress should start as soon as the monster inlaw leaves monday lol.Got a DX tank inbound,white paint instead of blue is the current plan.
030-1.jpg

029.jpg

Back