1941? Colson/Goodyear Clipper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fej

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0053_zps74807001.jpg

Clippers seem to popping up all over the place recently. I found this bike on my local craigslist today, I took one look at those fender braces and I knew I was about to make a bad decision... It appears to be a Colson/Goodyear Clipper that is missing the tank, chainguard, the correct rack, seat, truss rods and reflectors. I'm leaning towards a '41 Goodyear based on the supports for the fenders and the "GY" stamp on the bottom bracket but thats only a guesstimation. The bike is rough but the frame & fork are straight, solid and cancer free. Surprisingly good shape for the far northcoast of California, turns out the person I bought it from got it Modoc County hence the lack of rust. Pumped up the tires and rode it around, everything worked well enough. All in all I'm happy with it for a solid project bike under $150.

Bottom bracket shell. If the "K1" is the date maybe Nov 1941? Any help in narrowing down the manufacturing date would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0058_zpsb0e5c41b.jpg

The paint is obviously not original and quite horrendous, the rack is nice but off a different bike, the fenders are a little rough but still awesome, most of the chrome is in decent to good shape. It has ND Model D's that still have great chrome and a grease fitting on the rear. Rear rim is a "triple step" and the front isn't but both are in good shape and reasonable true. The tires are Carlisle Lightnings in usable shape.

IMG_0052_zps85e10ace.jpg

IMG_0050_zps7cd8ecfc.jpg

IMG_0049_zps5cfb4dc8.jpg

IMG_0055_zps59ca39ae.jpg

IMG_0056_zps1253b1b9.jpg

IMG_0059_zpsaedfdc2b.jpg

Started tearing the bike apart today. Pretty much all the bearings have issues... Front hub spins great but is loose and feels dry, rear hub doesn't spin well and the coaster brake needs a rebuild, bearing races in the headset are shot and the bottom bracket cups aren't much better. Took a lot of PB Blaster and some foul language to get the stem out and I'm still working on the seatpost. Luckily I've got an older skip tooth Hawthorne out in the shed, frame is pretty bad but just about all the components are in good shape. I was already planning on using it's headset and thinking about the bottom bracket/cranks set.

Also started stripping the paint, ran out of stripper but the pressure washer got most of the green pain off and some of the red. Pretty sure I'll get all the green off and just rock the partially stripped faded red paint. Once I get some pictures I'll start a build thread.

Latest posts

Back