1936 Hawthorne/Silver King build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would do a thread on this bike even though it may take a long time to get it built. I spend most of my free time on car projects, so this is a bit of a sideline to that. I bought his frame at a (car) swap meet last spring, and posted it on here looking for ideas for the frame repair. There were some passionate responses. I don't really need more crap hanging on the wall and I want to ride this thing around the pits at Bonneville next year, so I set about doing some surgery to make it useable. This is probably not the best way to do this, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Some pics of the damage to start:

Top tube:

IMG_9405.jpg

Busted dropout

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9397.jpg

IMG_9398.jpg

Re: 1936 Hawthorne build

I had a lot of ideas how to go about this, but they all relied on the integrity of the repair at the front of the lower stay. Well, that repair is probably as bad as anything else on this frame, so I'm going to try this:

First thing was get an old forged fork and straighten it out:

IMG_0044.jpg

Secure the patient for surgery

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Bad news

IMG_0048.jpg

Special tool #8776943

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Sneaking up on it

IMG_0056.jpg

Reshaping the fork some more

IMG_0056.jpg

Almost home!

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

And that's where I am right now. Next thing is shorten the steerer tube a few inches and lock it in to the bottom bracket. Then I need to make some new rear dropouts and figure out how to blend them in. Trying to make it look as natural as possible. I'll update this thread as soon as I make some more progress. Cheers!

I have been working on this a little bit, thought I would update the post in case anyone is watching, haha.

I got the fork to match the contour of the frame as close as possible. This was not easy, and it's still not perfect, but it's as close as it will get

IMG_0504_zps1994e830.jpg

chopped off the old dropouts

IMG_0501_zpsbb63e836.jpg

Made a sleeve/mount deal for the steerer tube to seat in the BB and forgot to take more pics

IMG_0502_zps478b5150.jpg

Very cool to seem to different fab work to get this old frame rideable.

Mounted the fork

IMG_0506_zps0e9b951d.jpg

IMG_0505_zpsdfc2e84e.jpg

IMG_0503_zps35511e86.jpg

I added some material to the fork to make a fatter channel and add chain adjustment. Drilled and tapped some holes, and mounted a wheel.

IMG_0645_zpsc610ef7e.jpg

IMG_0648_zpsa4df7756.jpg

IMG_0647_zps758a25c7.jpg

Time to roll it outside for some mockup pics to decide what fork to use. I put the springer together from mismatched parts and made the dropouts for that, too. The gap is way too big between the wheel and the fork, so I will run the original. Plus it just looks better to me.

IMG_0656_zps175238e1.jpg

IMG_0657_zps344fe660.jpg

IMG_0655_zps797467d6.jpg

Stock fork:

IMG_0654_zps6a42c33b.jpg

IMG_0653_zpsdbb91258.jpg

IMG_0652_zpsfad1bdef.jpg

So that's it for now. The hard part is done! I need to get some more stuff for the skiptooth drivetrain and I will post when I get the rest built.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it.

Cheers!

Thanks guys! It works fine under a static load of me sitting on it. My cool guy seat mount promptly bent as soon as I sat on it, but the frame seems fine. Probably stronger than new.
I'll post up some more as I get some more done.

Thanks!

Nice work and great save of an otherwise busted frame! 8)

Nice job to save that frame. Only thing that would worry me is the rear dropout bolts acting like pivots, is it possible to weld the dropouts instead of/as well as bolting them?
Agree on the original fork, much nicer look than the springer. Cool work!

Luke. :wink:

Thanks Luke. Not sure what you mean, tho. The bolts attach the stays to the fork. The steel fork extends all the way through to the bottom bracket and is very solid. There is no pivot point.

Hi

Thought I would update this if anyone was interested. I finished (at least for now) this bike with great results. Took a little bit, but after about 10 miles or so I got used to the riding position. My knees were not super happy but whatever. I put maybe 20 or 30 miles on it riding all over the pits at bonneville this year. I will try and post some better photos when I get to it. Thanks again for the ideas and comments.

Nice job saving an old Silver King. Looks awesome.
Kenny

Back