1936-38 Elgin modification.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tartosuc said:
So you got a 1 1/8"fork in a 1" steetube?
Yeah, I am still waiting for the headset to arrive. I sent out a 1 1/8 Chris King headset to a guy who uses a lathe to turn them down to fit pre-war size headtubes. It should be here next week then I will complete the build.

Got the headset and got everything together. It shifts perfectly and stops on a dime. The weight came in just shy of 35 pounds. The first ride on dirt went pretty well. I did put the headbadge on crooked though. I need to fix that.
IMG_8591_zpsa80d8775.jpg

IMG_8589_zps0eee2084.jpg

IMG_8581_zps2a30d9fd.jpg

IMG_8575_zps1ec693e0.jpg

IMG_8553_zpsf930ef0e.jpg

Superb re-engineering of a '30s era bike...a true work of art. 8)

Killer build. I love those frames, they look like they are molded from one solid piece.

She isn't so pretty anymore but after some serious abuse everything is still in one piece. I was concerned that the wheel may move around in the dropouts but that has not been a problem. I did have one issue with the chain getting sucked in between the tire and frame so I used an old shark fin chainstay protector and shortened the chain a few links. Problem solved.
IMG_0485_zps3d715eb7.jpg

IMG_0486_zps06d5db33.jpg

I agree that is an awesome build! Older bikes with modern attributes are always cool. I wonder what the Elgin folks would say about it if you could travel back in time? What kind of brazing rods and flux are you using?

Back