1930's Rambler by Westfield.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is one of those bikes that isn't really worth restoring. Most of the parts are either pretty well wrecked or incorrect.

ramblerbike1.jpg

The first step is getting it stripped down to the frame. This required a bit of Pb blaster and the application of an angle grinder.

rambler2.jpg

ramber3.jpg

Now that the frame is apart I can assess the damage. The fork is obviously quite bent. Somebody has also cut open one of the dropouts.

Rambler10.jpg

The frame is also bent in the typical ladies bicycle fashion.
rambler4.jpg

There is a repair right at the bend that has been welded and cracked.
rambler5.jpg

Freeze crack with built in ant farm.
rambler6.jpg

Bottom brace/fender mount tube no longer brazed.
rambler9.jpg

Now the frame can be straightened. This technique comes from the 1896 book "Bicycle repairing". It consists of two blocks of wood a bit longer than the distance between the seat tube and head tube so they meet at an angle. As the two pieces are pressed down they straighten out and force the frame apart. Then a new piece can be inserted between the two and the same process can be repeated as needed.

rambler7.jpg

Before:
rambler4.jpg

After:
rambler8.jpg

SSG said:
This technique comes from the 1896 book "Bicycle repairing". It consists of two blocks of wood a bit longer than the distance between the seat tube and head tube so they meet at an angle. As the two pieces are pressed down they straighten out and force the frame apart. Then a new piece can be inserted between the two and the same process can be repeated as needed.

rambler7.jpg

That's pretty trick... and also makes perfect sense.

Today I tried to straighten out the fork without much luck, its pretty bad. Not only is it bent, its bulged and nearly worn through from riding with it bent. I also drilled out the rivets and removed the head badge. When the bike was repainted they removed the head badge and reattached it with pop rivets.

That's a cool old bike. I'm curious what you're going to do with it. The whole restore, refurbish, or rat conundrum always gets me.
I love old books, especially technical books. Do you have a picture of it?

Yoothguy, that's funny, I don't know what I would have done without Sheldon Brown, learn to talk to actual people I guess.

I tend to have a certain style that I follow with every bike I build. I guess "restomod" might be the term. I try to keep them looking "period correct" while using free/the cheapest parts I can find. I obviously try to use all the correct parts I can, but thats not always easy to do with almost no budget. A good bike in my mind just has to ride good, look classy, and cost almost nothing; not an easy set of rules to follow. The book Bicycle Repairing is available on google books in pdf format. I love old technical books as well, but I haven't managed to come across any bicycle related ones. I'd love to have a physical copy, but the last one I saw for sale was ridiculously expensive.

I managed to make a little progress today. The head of one of the tensioner bolts sheared off. I welded a nut onto it and sheared more of the end off. I had to drill the bolt and use an extractor. I finally got it out after fighting with it for a while using heat and pbblaster.
rambler13.jpg

Now I can finally get the frame stripped, weld the crack and get started with painting.

Latest posts

Back