1918 Harley Davis-son - Mar 16 Not HD Frame, but a Davis National

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool project to play with!

This picture leads me to believe that the black is a repaint due to the run and the bearing race being painted. I'm sure some races where painted, but I wouldn't think that they would be chrome or zinc plated first.
index.php

Yeah, there are multiple indicators that the black is not the original color. Even the places where there is raw metal below the black the sanding marks are a little to rough to be original bare metal in my opinion.

All of my bike money comes from bikes and yard sales, so in the end it's all FSDs (Fred Sanford Dollars) and the exchange rate is pretty good right now. :banana:

WOW! I'm jealous of this. The only Harley Davidson bike I seen was a guy at a swap meet had a picture of his. :39:

Nice H.D.! Now that you have it broke down, will you repaint it, or leave it camo?

I really haven't decided on that yet. I really don't think I will repaint it. I don't think there is enough "character" in the black repaint to warrant a clear coat as is. I may take off the black paint, but leave the remnants of the older paints and make most of the bike bare metal (unless I find something else under the black), and then coat it in linseed oil. Who knows at this point? Still too early to tell.

This is awesome! Nice job keeping it classy AND rat rod-y at the same time.

Thanks Danimal! It's been fun so far. Both the work and the research. Should I keep the Calico spray bomb paint on the backside of the chainring? :eek:

Yeah, I think you where wondering about the fork in an earlier post. It would have been a tripped crown if it was the correct Davis HD fork. That one looks to be a double. I truly believe it's a Harley Frame but unfortunately a "restoration" took place two or three times in its life.

Can't wait to see this in person. That alone would be worth the drive to come see.

I say NO REPAINT! Leave it all bare metal!

Im a HD guy and i must say awesome score pickers found a chainring and a bike built into a machine out of wood and bike frame looked close to yours. Do it up

Yeah that black is just "Crustic" enough. A HD rat, sweet.

Carl.

I missed out on that one it was on craigs close to my house .I guess the guy who bought it sold it to you quick.

It wasn't that quick, but he didn't have the time for this project, so we worked out a deal.

Yeah, I think you where wondering about the fork in an earlier post. It would have been a tripped crown if it was the correct Davis HD fork. That one looks to be a double. I truly believe it's a Harley Frame but unfortunately a "restoration" took place two or three times in its life.

Can't wait to see this in person. That alone would be worth the drive to come see.

I say NO REPAINT! Leave it all bare metal!

Thanks for your support on this bike buddy!
It's not the typical HD triple plate for sure. Definitely a Davis fork. Pretty confident the frame is a Davis, but not sure what badge this would have worn to start with. Still doing research.
I might be down to bare metal when you make it down my way. My next step is going to be to remove the non original black and see if more of the story unfolds or not. I have a very cool badge idea that'll pay homage to HD.

Yeah that black is just "Crustic" enough. A HD rat, sweet.

Carl.

Sorry, I don't believe I am going to keep the black. It's cool, but not original and who knows. It may be hiding something cooler.

Hey, it's your bike right? Hehe, if you get down to no paint and it still ain't cool, I saw a finish in a Ratrod mag, where the guy blasted it bare then acid washed it, then used an oil based wood stain on it. It was beautiful patina'd. I'm gonna try it on a bare bike I got...

Carl.

edit: Google Affliction Chevelle...

Last edited:
Hey, it's your bike right? Hehe, if you get down to no paint and it still ain't cool, I saw a finish in a Ratrod mag, where the guy blasted it bare then acid washed it, then used an oil based wood stain on it. It was beautiful patina'd. I'm gonna try it on a bare bike I got...

edit: Google Affliction Chevelle...

That is a very cool fauxtina technique and a sick looking Chevelle.

The fenders and Troxel saddle arrived this week. I was very pleased to measure the sidewalls of the fenders and confirm that they are correct Davis fenders as well. I also confirmed that the front fender attachment is correct as well as the drop stand clip that is supposed to be fairly hard to find. It should have flat fender braces and half of the rear braces are flat. The other one must have been replaced at sometime. The front fender brace came with the frame and I believe that it is a flat one.
WP_20140306_22_03_03_Pro.jpg
WP_20140306_22_03_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20140306_22_03_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20140306_22_03_57_Pro.jpg
WP_20140306_22_04_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20140306_22_03_40_Pro.jpg
WP_20140306_22_04_42_Pro.jpg

Back