12/71 Cotton Picker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought the Cotton inside to the basement to work on since the weather cooled down this past week. It's clean enough that the Mrs. doesn't mind haha I mocked up the sissy bar with new seat tonight just to get a look at it and boy does it POP especially with the NOS 6-pie reflector installed! I also adjusted the washers for rear axle so they face correct way against thr frame. Now to recall the proper way for derailleur to mount and also ensure the one bolt on right side of rear axle for sissy bar clamp and fender bracket doesn't hit the axle gear. Should there be an additional thin washer on derailleur side for any reason? One came off that side but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be there or not.

Tomorrow I hope to figure out why the left handbrake lever is not tightening against the handlebars, and then I can move forward with hairspraying and installing the new grips and handbrake lever covers. I'll need to order some 16" rimtape and a tube still. Once that's done I plan to then run the cables for brakes, reinstall shifter, and take it back into the garage to install the chain. Things are coming together perfectly time wise since I am off on Friday as well as Thanksgiving break on the horizon to dot my i's and cross my t's. Such a huge difference from when I first got it!
20231106_200353.jpg
20231106_200359.jpg
20231106_200408.jpg
20231106_200414.jpg
20231106_200420.jpg
20231106_200423.jpg

Last edited:
Holy smokes, Lyme Disease is serious, good thing you got that diagnosed! Good luck with the recovery
Thanks, so far so good now that I've concluded the meds. Definitely caught me by surprise but thankful it was caught when it was. I was a new patient at this new PCP but miraculously they had an opening the next day instead of months out like normal for a new patient. I don't know how worse off I'd be if I didn't get in when I did having not known that was what was affecting me.

Also how bad of a job is it to reinstall the kickstand? Or is it easier than removing it? I already have it all out but first time doing so lol
Squeeze it in with a wood clamp. Drop in the pin, release wood clamp. There are videos on YouTube for it.

Brought the Cotton inside to the basement to work on since the weather cooked down this past week. It's clean enough that the Mrs. doesn't mind haha I mocked up the sissy bar with new seat tonight just to get a look at it and boy does it POP especially with the NOS 6-pie reflector installed! I also adjusted the washers for rear axle so they face correct way against thr frame. Now to recall the proper way for derailleur to mount and also ensure the one bolt on right side of rear axle for sissy bar clamp and fender bracket doesn't hit the axle gear. Should there be an additional thin washer on derailleur side for any reason? One came off that side but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be there or not.

Tomorrow I hope to figure out why the left handbrake lever is not tightening against the handlebars, and then I can move forward with hairspraying and installing the new grips and handbrake lever covers. I'll need to order some 16" rimtape and a tube still. Once that's done I plan to then run the cables for brakes, reinstall shifter, and take it back into the garage to install the chain. Things are coming together perfectly time wise since I am off on Friday as well as Thanksgiving break on the horizon to dot my i's and cross my t's. Such a huge difference from when I first got it!View attachment 251987View attachment 251988View attachment 251989View attachment 251990View attachment 251991View attachment 251992
That looks GREAT!

Squeeze it in with a wood clamp. Drop in the pin, release wood clamp. There are videos on YouTube for it.
Alrightie, I know removal required me to use a C clamp. Wood clamp, and a wrench lol I'll check youtube out

That looks GREAT!
Thank you 🤗

It's coming together nicely. :thumbsup:

(I wish Sid could've cleaned up this good)!
Dude Sid looks amazing as is! I love the patina on it, and of course you have the luxury of having a bike with one of the baddest chain guards in the land! Plus considering my name is Billy, I am partial to your Billy Bars 🤣

Today, I straightened out the sissy bar clamps, mocked up the shifter (still needs fresh grease as well as old decals removed and new ones applied). Also got the front hand brake lever mounted as the original bolt had a couple threads messed up on it so I had to get another brake lever in just for a better screw. Now that the brake levers are on I was able to install the shiny and bright new hand grips! I tried installing the brake lever covers too but can't seem to get them on more than halfway and that's with using the hair spray method. Any suggestions on that install or best way to remove old decals from shifter?

I also looked into installing the speedo gear back onto the hub of front wheel so I could sure everything up with the front end, but I was stumped because the bike upon purchasing it had a foam ring between gear and hub. Needless to say it was trashed and full for dirt and greas, so I was trying to figure out best way to install, and honestly felt like the way the gear had been sat too far away from hub. Turns out I was right and two washers below the top nut need to be removed and the gear goes in their place. I'll be doing that tomorrow when I can get back in the garage with it. I also mocked up my custom license plate I had made with 1271 to note its a December of 71 model and Franklin Co. as the county in PA where the bike was originally sold via Wardle's Bicycle Shop near Grove City, PA back in its day. I always have liked adding the cereal box offered state plates to my bikes but this time I am glad I went the custom route since the plate colors accent the seat nicely!

While the bike is still in my basement, I need to critique the seat height and adjust the cables. I am also going to putz around with installing a generator style Schwinn (Union) headlight and taillight kit since the pumpkin light I purchased on the pink girls Schwinn needs a lot of work and rechroming to be worthy of going on this. But the remaining "dirty" work i.e. install freshly oiled chain and grease and install kickstand will both need to take place back in the garage. After that I do believe that I am ready to start checking out ideal photo op locations for the final result. I have one spot in mind, but am going to do my due diligence in finding a spot that is going to really make the shined up paint on this 💥!

Last but not least I am oddly excited that I was convinced by a buddy to order streamers for the handlebars today. I wasn't a fan at first (it had crossed my mind) but then he sent me this ad and he said, "Be a champion!" And since thats what I'm trying to do with this co test I thought why the heck not?! Haha

20231111_154514.jpg
Screenshot_20231111_193750_eBay.jpg
received_298668033072343.jpeg
received_1367431690538214.jpeg
Screenshot_20231111_171248_Messenger.jpg
20231109_073747.jpg

Last night I decided to stick with my selection of adding my recently purchased Schwinn generator light kit to the Cotton. I still need to run the wiring cleanly, but am happy with how it looks overall especially the taillight view and how it adds a lot of character to the back end. It still needs adjusted up on the frame more so the generator wheel rides above the raised lettering (like this is going to be anything other than eye candy anyways though! 😅)

I had ambitions of adding the Schwinn pumpkin headlight but after opening it up and seeing the refurbishing work it will need along with the top chrome being worn off to the black layer underneath due to sitting in a collapsing wooden shed exposed to the elements, I decided that the pumpkin light can be saved for down the road.

My speedo gear is soaking in carb cleaner to break down any old grease. I plan ok installing it today once home from work and tighten up the front end.

Just have to add the chain and kickstand still along with adjusting the brake and shift cables.

If I get to replacing the decals on the shifter bezel I will but the look of them beig worn and still original is growing on me haha

The last pic was taken and then I realized I had the headlight bracket on upside down. So I posted it anyways to note I liked the position of the headlight but knowing the bracket was upside down I couldn't knowingly leave it on backwards basically.

20231115_073741.jpg
20231115_073924.jpg
20231115_073948.jpg
20231114_195503.jpg
20231114_195456.jpg
20231114_195724.jpg

The examples I've seen on the net say "no" to that question. Yours is set up like the pictures I found.
Great! Thanks for letting me know 👍

My streamers came in yesterday and I installed them quickly. And also installed my speedo drive to the hub after cleaning it out thoroughly with degreaser. I'll be adding some 3-in-1 oil to it once I get this back out into the garage this weekend to do the chain and kickstand install and cable adjustments. Then ideally the rest of this week will be hunting for the best possible picture spot around here to take its glamor shot for the final vote 😁

Does anyone by chance though have a pic of the left side front fork position/hardware? This front tire was def off this bike at some point prior to me getting it and it wasn't put back on correctly (the nub from the fork wasn't sitting in the channel/keeper of the atom hub as you can see in the below "before" pic). Now that I have that in correct position, the outer fork bar and fender on that front left side are hitting a nut and not sitting flush. So thinking maybe there's an additional washer missing or something?
20231116_192623.jpg
Screenshot_20231116_194331_Gallery.jpg

Got the kickstand installed tonight in under 5 minutes! I can't believe how easy it was haha I got tied up this weekend with family functions so didn't get everything buttoned up as planned, but considering I thought this kickstand was going to give me the biggest headache it is such an ease of mind knowing it's done now! 😁

Latest posts

Back