1" Threaded Fork - What is the standard inside diameter?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
On my Dyno Pure Fun Beach Cruiser the ID of the steerer tube on the OEM fork is 21mm. I recently bought a Dyno freestyle type quill stem that has a diameter of 22mm. Question is, which one of these two parts is the oddball? Is it more common to have a 21mm ID on the steerer tube or a 22mm diameter of the quill stem?

In general, older bikes tend to have the smaller steer tube i.d., newer ones the larger. Clearly this is not always the case, as shown by your experience. Both sizes are fairly common.

Would it be possible to sand down that quill stem by hand to remove 1mm of material in order to make it fit? I don't have a grinding wheel.

Hope it's aluminum, sanding that much steel could get pretty tiresome. :crazy:
I imagine aluminum would be a chore as well. Don't forget, the wedge has to fit as well.
:forum:

I could use the wedge from my existing stem so that's not a problem. Maybe there's a machine shop nearby that can reduce it down to 21mm...

It maybe be cheaper to buy the correct stem than go to the machine shop. Plus you will know that you have not change the strength of the stem.

Latest posts

Back