1" Threaded Fork to 1-1/8" Headset Refresher

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just refresh my memory... I'm working on a modern MTB to cruiser. The headset is 1-1/8 headset. I was going to order reducers (for $20) but I'd rather put that towards a headset. What measurement should I be focused on? Remove old cups and measure the head tube? My brain says it's simple but I'd rather not order the wrong headset.

I LIKE BIKES

You've got, more'n likely, a headtube built for 34mm cups, measured at the "skirt". Best bet, really, is to run the reducers. I keep telling myself
I'm gonna knock out a cup from one of my 1.125" frames and see if a Wald 4080 fits snug, but I haven't tried it yet. My gut feels skeptical about it. Oh, and a popular internet rumor is that Murray 1" cups will fit a 1.125" (34mm) headtube, but I've never tried it so I cannot verify... maybe one of y'all Spaceliner guys can? I had a Murray Monterrey for a few minutes; I should've tried while I had the chance....

How did ya know I was looking at the 1" cheapo wald headset? ;)

I LIKE BIKES

B/c I respect you, TonyGB, and I know that EVERY wise man finds himself shopping for a Wald 4080, at some point. I make sure to have a new one on-hand in the parts pile at all times, just in case.

Here's what I propose: get the Wald headset, see how it fits in the headtube. If it's snug, game over: you win. If it ain't, buy the reducers, file the 3 "nubs" off of each Wald cup, and run the Wald in the reducer. You've little to lose, and (possibly) much to gain.

(The tube is designed to accept 34.0mm cups; it's press fit, so the ID will be a hair under 34.0mm, like 33.9mm)

Latest posts

Back