1" diameter apes...who runs them?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry if this question has been asked and answered many times before (not having much luck on the forum search).

How many of you guys run 1" diameter handlebars on your cruisers? I've noticed most bars are 7/8", and I've also seen posts where apes come loose (tightening problems, etc.). I know there are fixes for loose apes, but I'm having trouble finding NARROW 7/8" chrome apes with an 18" rise....

I dig these (see link), pricey, and they're 1": http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-18-Narrow-Ape-Hanger-1-Handlebars-0601-1005-/301603466916?rmvSB=true

I have a 4 bolt BMX stem so I think they should work if no alternative becomes available.

Any comments or feedback is appreciated.

Here is some of the ones I've done. Some I still own, All with 1" bars.....

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered many times before (not having much luck on the forum search).

How many of you guys run 1" diameter handlebars on your cruisers? I've noticed most bars are 7/8", and I've also seen posts where apes come loose (tightening problems, etc.). I know there are fixes for loose apes, but I'm having trouble finding NARROW 7/8" chrome apes with an 18" rise....

I dig these (see link), pricey, and they're 1": http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-18-Narrow-Ape-Hanger-1-Handlebars-0601-1005-/301603466916?rmvSB=true

I have a 4 bolt BMX stem so I think they should work if no alternative becomes available.

Any comments or feedback is appreciated.
BMX stems are 7/8". If you want to run 1" bars, you'll need a MTB stem with a 25.4mm (1") clamp. I used an old downhill stem to mount these 1" Z-bars.

Cool, good to know...thanks for the info. Cool bike BTW.
BMX stems are 7/8". If you want to run 1" bars, you'll need a MTB stem with a 25.4mm (1") clamp. I used an old downhill stem to mount these 1" Z-bars.

Back