1 1/8th steer tube question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i bought a springer at bicyclericks swap meet this fall and its got a 1 1/8th steer tube on it. what the crap kinda bike will that fit? im tired of seeing it just lookin at me wantin to be used but i dont know what kinda bike itll fit on. somebody please tell me some answers before i go outta my mind!!!!!! :mrgreen: jk just wanna use up some parts that i got in the shop

Easy E

hmmm yea thats a really good idea. dur i shouldve thought about that myself. ill have to replace the washer thingy too wont i?

Easy E

lol yea i guess i could resort to that if i absolutely had to. i plan on buildin a burrito soon by piecing a few girls bikes together. but now that u mention the mountain bike idea, i do have one in mind......... :mrgreen:

Easy E

I actually have a Dyno-Glide that I put a 1 1/8th Springer front end from nirve on it and all I had to do was get the correct head set..... It turns without an issue, I'll put up pics when the paints finished.....

On some older Schwinns, it's possible to fit a 1 1/8" fork inside the 1" headtube. It requires some scavenged parts, running loose ball bearings and also using 1 1/8" threadless headset parts. I have done it before.

I can give you more info if you want.

ive played around with it a little bit here and there. but id have to run a 1inch cup and loose bearings, or CRAM some 1 1/8s in there and have a 1 1/8 coned nut and washer and lock nut and so on and so forth. i just need to get my hands on the proper headset. but do tell me more info on whatcha got.

Easy E

Well, I usually have a drawer full of parts. But I use the stock Schwinn cups. They are a bit larger than standard 1" cups. You will have to feed the steerer tube through the cups to make sure it won't rub.

Depending on the crown race you use, I can usually get by with the regular bearing in the bottom cup. It just takes trial and error to see what runs smooth.

I run 1/8" loose ball bearings in the top cup. You will need the entre top section off a threadless headset for that. Install a starnut in the fork and add a threadless stem.

It takes a bit of trial and error. Matching up the cones and cups with the right bearing size can be tough.

FWIW- I run loose ball bearings on everything I build. Cages are not needed and only made it easier to assemble bikes at the factories.

WOWZA! that sounds like alot to do. i think ill just stick to buying a new neck that a 1inch. thanks a million for the advice though

Easy E

Naw! Takes about 15 minutes! But I have more time then money. I don't like buying new things!

Back