0$ Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest efforts have produced this ratty single speed city bike. It started its life as an All Pro three speed as seen in the pics. It was given to me free a few years back and has been hanging on a hook ever since. Gone is the three speed hub and orig. front wheel, the hand brakes, all of the cables and nonsense. What we are left with is a clean looking single speed machine. The wheel set came from a 26" ladies Hiawatha. I made the grips out of leather scraps and I borrowed my brooks saddle from another bike until I find a suitable replacement. This forum has inspired me to delve back into one of my favorite hobbies, and it is one that has been a constant on and off over the last 27 years. I hope you all enjoy these pics.

P1010634-1.jpg

P1010635-1.jpg

P1010636-1.jpg

P1010637-1.jpg

Nice!

Can you lay down a tutorial of the leather grip situation?

The real challenge will be producing some kind of Billy Mayes headbadge :D

No prob. (1) Find some leather, In my case an old lady gave it to me for helping her fix some old furniture that needed to be glued.(2) Cut it into strips about the same size as bar wrap. (3) I used electrical tape to initially tape the strip to the bar. (4) Start your wrap. I pulled it nice and tight as I went along. When I got to the end of the wrap I taped it with the electrical tape again and used some plastic/rubber bar caps which I heated with a hair dryer and stretched to fit over the leather. (5) I went back and applied more tape on both ends to seal the deal. (6)As a final step I also applied leather water proofing wax to the grips. Hope this helps, and incase any one is wondering they feel great. The bike really rides nice.

Back