█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ Cinco De Mayo, actual progress Pg.8

That sidecar mount would be awesome with a web gusset though.

Alright! real work done! I do like simple side car frame, this is quite the opposite of what my plans are, as I want my sidecar to be removable. Are you planning to having any additional braces between the bike and the car?

JoKeR63 said:
Alright! real work done! I do like simple side car frame, this is quite the opposite of what my plans are, as I want my sidecar to be removable. Are you planning to having any additional braces between the bike and the car?

Yes, I will have braces from the seat stay down the sidecar frame and possibly gussets on what I just did. I know many sidecars have a bar that goes forward to the headtube, I am open to this, but avoiding it. I thought about making mine removable too, but just couldn't think of a coupler that would be strong enough and have no movement and be quiet. Judging by your work, you're probably going to wow me with how you've already got that problem solved. haha.

Looks great Justin! :D What if you hung the bullet on the downtube? :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:

Did you see where I put it now?

yoothgeye said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:

Yeah, that looks pretty good, but I mean more in the middle :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
yoothgeye said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:

If I decide to put it where it is now I will cut out that piece of frame that points to the ground and make it fit tight against the bottom. I don't want it on the down tube pointing up because I really want it facing forward and I actually don't want too much attention drawn to it.

largek9 said:
Looks good I like the width and position of the side car frame.Nice welds to.

Thanks, I really had a hard time getting started, but I was up in the bike bathroom this morning, saw that frame and grabbed it, thought this would be as good a starting point as any. I know I don't want the sidecar wheel beside the rear wheel, but a little forward of it (will be more like a pivot point for right turns) and not too far forward. That piece of frame really helps bring all that together.

Nice progress!This is going to be sweet 8) Have you considered welding the steer tube inside the head tube?It's hard to tell if that would position the wheel properly or not.Keep up the great work :!:

Circa Cycles said:
Nice progress!This is going to be sweet 8) Have you considered welding the steer tube inside the head tube?It's hard to tell if that would position the wheel properly or not.Keep up the great work :!:

I looked into that, it would make the wheel either too far forward or back, but anyway I actually need to add a little more material to put the wheel a few more inches out.

Peatbog said:
yoothgeye said:
largek9 said:
...but I was up in the bike bathroom this morning...

That's not a sentence I ever expected to hear in my lifetime.

I guess it does sound odd:
SAM_0636.jpg

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
yoothgeye said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:

Maybe suspended where it bisects the top and down tubes?? That is a such a cool item. It needs to be shown off.

Nice progress!!!

What are those two in the back peeking at through the shades?

kingfish254 said:
Maybe suspended where it bisects the top and down tubes?? That is a such a cool item. It needs to be shown off.

Nice progress!!!

Thanks! It is a cool item, but it was something I found in an attic, and it's just so big! If I end up not using it, it won't hurt my feelings, build isn't complete yet though.

Circa Cycles said:
What are those two in the back peeking at through the shades?

They are watching out for all the neighborhood kids that come around having me fix their bikes, they know if they see one ride up needing a part that they have that they better hide quick!

tin machine said:
wow , good progress , you really are a cool dude 8) , ive got a set of those wheels with ,tires you can have !! if you need them lmk

Thanks, but I think I have enough... I think. This project will use 2 rear wheels, 2 of the 20x3 tires and one OCC front wheel tire combo, that will leave me with 2 20x3 tires, 2 front WCC rims, and 2 front OCC wheel/tire combos. I also have a spare 20" black coaster, so I can just about build this same bike again, without the passenger cutter brake. :mrgreen:

motopsyco said:
If all else fail build a tall sissy bar and put the cannon shell in it facing straight up!

Missile silo... I like that! haha

Maybe I can have a water reservoir in the bottom and drop a piece of dry ice in it.

Back