‘62 Typhoon double straight bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JA331

Ride it like you stole it.
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of searching I finally found a black ‘62 Typhoon. I should have it in a few weeks and have everything set aside that I need to build it into a sweet bmx cruiser.

I will be keeping the original paint and I got most of the bike with the exception of the wheels, tires and pedals. I already have a pair of Sun rhynolite rims laced to a nos Suzue front hub and rebuilt Bendix red band 2 speed coaster hub.
IMG_6074.jpeg

Those frames are awesome, this is going to be a great build. 62 was the only year that style was offered, so I can see why you had a time getting ahold of one

Thanks Matti

There seems to be more red ones about. The other problem is trying to find a seller willing to pull a bike down and then taking the time to pack it well.

I always believed these were a one year only frame but discovered elsewhere it was also offered the year before as a Tornado and possibly as another model. I’m checking now.

Last edited:
I thought the same for years too Matti. Someone set me straight a few months back.

Last edited:
I finished my ‘62 Typhoon yesterday. I initially had a Bendix red band kick back hub on it but it was too draggy for my liking so I decided to use a SA rear drum with a 7 speed cassette. I am really glad I did because this thing is now my best vintage rider. The gears are closely spaced and the SA hub spins for days. I pulled the cassette and derailleur from a couple of old mountain bikes and combined them with a new grip shifter which I may replace with a Deore thumbie later.
IMG_6398.jpeg

With Bendix kick back
IMG_6518.jpeg

With 7 speed.
IMG_6519.jpeg

I finished my ‘62 Typhoon yesterday. I initially had a Bendix red band kick back hub on it but it was too draggy for my liking so I decided to use a SA rear drum with a 7 speed cassette. I am really glad I did because this thing is now my best vintage rider. The gears are closely spaced and the SA hub spins for days. I pulled the cassette and derailleur from a couple of old mountain bikes and combined them with a new grip shifter which I may replace with a Deore thumbie later. View attachment 251376
With Bendix kick back
View attachment 251375
With 7 speed.View attachment 251374
Sick bike, I really like the new hub.
Thumbie>grip shift..imo
^he's right

Looks like a great ride.

For info, the 62 Typhoon was the first year for the Typhoon, and the only year it used the twin bar frame. 63 and later was the standard cantilever frame.

Latest posts

Back