Zep meets Clinton

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So I have a Hawthorne Zep frame with some issues so why not cut it up, and I picked up this old Clinton motor over the summer. I can already smell burning metal, that is if I can find the time to actually do this thing up.

002.jpg

the motor looked so small sitting on the shelf :?
001.jpg

003.jpg

I'm thinking the frame gets slightly stretched, gas tank goes up between the double top tubes and the motor sits low. I've got a comet clutch somewhere from the minibike days.

I still need to get my head around the drive system, I'll be reading up on other builds to see what looks best for keeping the pedal power.

Re: Zep meets Clinton (motor that is)

I got the same motor 1 1/2HP mine must be newer it has a recoil start. Are you going belt drive or chain?........Curt

I'll probably do chain just because it seems easier to do. Might look into a set of moped wheels since they would have a large drive gear for the motor and a small freewheel for pedaling.

I have a 26 inch drop center wheel with heavy spokes that has a chain sprocket on the coaster brake hub. Someone must have been planning a motorized build. Let me know if you would like a photo or more info.

What are my options going to be to starting this motor up, do I need to find a recoil starter? did they make a kick start like some of the old maytag motors?

On the flywheel side there should be drum with a notch. Tie a not in a rope and it should fit in the notch rap it around the drum and give a pull. What they had was like a 3/4 or 1" dowel with a hole in the center for a handle on the other end of the rope...........Curt

Hoping to come up with an alternative to hauling a pull start rope around. I'm looking into some ideas (aka, copying what is out there :D )

I had a bike with one of those motors that mounted to the front wheel. You just got going pedaling and engaged the drive wheel which in turn would turn the motor over and if all went well, it would start. I think that is why a lot of the motorized bikes have a small front chain ring so you can get moving easily.

That would be a simple solution, or at least it sounds like one....

Been looking at Beau's set up on his Briggs Powered rig... that could work too, I may have most of those parts around here somewhere.

I think I'm going chain just for the simplicity of it. I have a comet centrfugal clutch already. I'd rather do belt drive for the quiet running and more vintage look but maybe next time. I've built a couple of minibikes but never a motorized bicycle.

I think I'll be needing to cut the top tubes just behind the headtube and extend them a few inches, then rebuild the downtube to accomodate the motor. It's only 7" front to back so it almost fits without stretching the frame but not quite.

The rear stays on the frame are super wide, if I cant find some moped wheels I may scrounge around for some 24's and run a 3" tire. May have to scout the local junkyard for a donor moped or I know of a couple of neighbors who have them sitting around.

That's a pretty serious project! The Clinton is pretty small, although I do have a Briggs 5 just sitting in the shed....

I like the clutch set up with the pawl to engage for start up, I could see doing that. I'd need to enlist the help of a machinist friend to make that crank set up.

Good info though, I appreciate the help.

Walker said:
That's a pretty serious project! The Clinton is pretty small, although I do have a Briggs 5 just sitting in the shed....

I like the clutch set up with the pawl to engage for start up, I could see doing that. I'd need to enlist the help of a machinist friend to make that crank set up.

Good info though, I appreciate the help.

You could still do the clutch to start your Clinton................Curt

I like that starter set up in the first video, couldn't open the other one though. Kind of a lot of machining, which I cant do but we'll see.

I might work on some sketches tonight.

It's pretty easy to turn over by hand. Hoping I dont have compression issues.

If I left the pull start pulley I could run an alternator off that side for lights :idea:

I try again http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=25080 Might need torun it for awhile rings may be sticky. I started mine and run good but it needs new oil and clean the carb it was mising.

My intention is to use LED flashlight cut it up and put the light inside a bike light,thet are 4 1/2 volts get a voltage reducer 6 volt to 4 1/2 find a 6 volt batterie use a bike generator to charge the batterie. You can run the generator off any thing let it run against a drive belt,wheel, or just belt to drive it. Might need a diode to make sure it don't overcharge the batterie.........Curt

http://www.lawnmowerstuff.com/204-Clinton_Carb_Kit.html

PS don't underestamate the Clinton about 50 years ago I had a 1 1/2 hp briggs it did about 25 miles per hour........Curt

So even though the motor is quite small, it will not fit in the front frame triangle without so much modification to the frame that the "look" will be lost. I think I'm going to place the motor behind the seat tube which will be changed a bit. I'll be extending and reinforcing the seat stays to make it work. the Clinton is only 7" front to back so that is good.

I may try to re-use the orig gas tank and maybe hang it from the lower top tube, or may look into a custom tank that would fit inbetween. obviously one way is free and the other is not, so I'll see what happens.

How about replaceing the front down tube with one off a girls bike they are more curved and would give you more room?......Curt

Latest posts

Back