X-53 makes a hard landing.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my hands on a X-53. This is a model that has always caught my eye. The space age styling may
be at the height of post war design. There is all the "crust" I could ask for. With all the chrome, paint and
stripes, bringing this jet back is going to take a major effort.

The chain guard may be my favorite thing about the X-53.

The spear is present, but the rear reflector missing.

The decals look to be in good shape.

The iconic head lamp may be a search that goes on and on.

Love 53's, one of my bucket list bikes.

I would like to reach out for opinions regarding the option of original condition vs restoration. How might the value be affected etc.? There
is a lot of bling on the X-53. I am leaning towards a restoration, but a
tune up and ride would be much easier.

I would like to reach out for opinions regarding the option of original condition vs restoration. How might the value be affected etc.? There
is a lot of bling on the X-53. I am leaning towards a restoration, but a
tune up and ride would be much easier.

I tend to think that the motto on this forum is you only get original once. And for me personally I tend to keep all of my bikes in original condition, at least that way you have the option of deciding to restore later down the road.
IMG_0061.JPG

My 1945 Huffman Dixie-Flyer, is a good example of how nice original paint and chrome will clean up.

I agree; give this thing a nice, careful cleaning, some lube, and a tune. Don't repaint or re-chrome or look for repro decals or anything; too much is left of the original finish on this one. Just, be very careful how you polish stuff and keep it lookin' awesome.

I agree; give this thing a nice, careful cleaning, some lube, and a tune. Don't repaint or re-chrome or look for repro decals or anything; too much is left of the original finish on this one. Just, be very careful how you polish stuff and keep it lookin' awesome.
IMAO, once you try to take it back to where it once was that you will never get it back to where it is today . The character of the patina
Will be lost, let it show it age tastefully . I think it looks awesome in the state it is in .

I see what you're saying, but if that thing is gonna be ridden, it will need the drivetrain and headset to be cleaned and lubed. (If it ain't gonna be ridden, that borders on tragedy.) And, if no one cleans it and polishes it, it's not going to sty like that; it's going to deteriorate further. As i say it, if you own something, you wanna take care of it as best you can. Too much zeal will ruin it for sure, but a gentle cleaning, done with knowledge and care, will help preserve this bike that's already been around 60-some years. And, if you really have some sort of rust/dust/dirt fetish, don't worry.... it will get rusty and dirty again. Trust me; they all do.

Noce bike man, Im one of those giys who clean the bike to look as best it can and to preserve...but thays just me tho..Heres mine ,1958 Super X53.. I bought it off a older Gentleman who restored it .It just needed fenders to be rechromed.I got a NOS set.Waitin on fender rivets to get the rear reflector on the new rear fender.You can see the cloudy chrome front fender replaced by the NOS one.
6eac3b53484d6a11a3c570072c646430.jpg
775e836394719fe74e92aff52e331bca.jpg
3cde71f3ebebe882a08f16bf6701c586.jpg
05dd709cc1c09f78b1fb6c7e67156392.jpg
cb933a4a2a84e4123ec6db788532d71a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'll take the fine advice of this forum, and give this jet a cleaning and lube those bearings. I have a set of new white walls that will do the trick. Ride it the rest of the summer and then evaluate the possibility of a restoration. Meanwhile there's an old Sportster that needs to get back on the road.

Latest posts

Back