Where to find wide wheels and tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Im looking for some of these amazing looking wheels and tires that some of yall have on your stretched bikes. I have found these...

http://fatbikes.com/rims.html

but they dont come with a hub or laced. So who is a good source here in the states to get these wheels?

My other question about these rims is, What would be a good coaster hub for these? I am assuming a regular 26" hub wont be wide enough for the chain to clear the tire...

As for tires, I have found the Felt Thick Brick tires for about $30. But are there any other options or prefered tires for a 4" wide rim?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

If you want to buy a complete wheel, I think it's gonna be a second-hand one. You could try Choppers US though, maybe they sell complete new wheels. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... lFk5fV97yw
As to the width, I use a standard SRAM 3-speed coasterhub in an 80 mm rim. And before the SRAM hub, I used a Shimano 3-sp. coasterhub.
So up to 80 mm, a standard hub shouldn't be a problem. As long as the tyre isn't wider than the rim.
I hope this info helps a bit. Good luck.

Surly sells some wide rims and hubs too. I have bought rims, hubs and wheels from Surly and ChoppersUSA and think highly of both companies products.

Awesome! Thanks guys. I think ChoppersUS has everything I need. Im gonna get the ring from FatBike and save a few bucks, but ChoppersUS has everything else that I need.

As for tires, Whats a budget recommended tire? Any options out there? And can I run a smaller tire and stretch it to the rim if I wanted?

Just an example: on my 80 mm rim,I run a Schwalbe Fat Frank 26x2.35. It used to be on my 1,5" rim,,before I bought the 80 mm.
It's even usable on a 100 mm rim. Only thing you have to pay attention to, is the innertube. In my case, I use a 3.00 motorcycle-tube.
It can handle the pressure and it's made of thicker rubber (stronger), so there's less chance you run flat.
I've got no experience with other tyrebrands. Someone else maybe?

Latest posts

Back